Do all christians not understand paganism?

I am replying from the position of having had a few lectures upon the subject & read a few articles & chapters upon it at University. As with many things about ancient Britain the paucity of sources about the druids & how little we can claim to know about them with any confidence was freely confessed & complained about by those attempting to research the subject.

You must be a real authority on the topic then. Forget us who have been studying it all our lives. We bow down to your abundant knowledge and expertise. A few lectures eh! Wow!

Paganists are nutjobs, satanists are nutjobs. So they may not be exactly the same, but what does it really matter, neither of them should be taken seriously.

care to explain why Ken?

You must be a real authority on the topic then. Forget us who have been studying it all our lives. We bow down to your abundant knowledge and expertise. A few lectures eh! Wow!

I learned from lectures, articles & books written by historians who've spent their lives trying to learn about pre-Xian religions in northern Europe using actual evidence in a discipline where making stuff up is rather frowned upon and where questioning sources & claims is positively encouraged.

I'll take scholars over true believers every time.

For one thing scholars don't pretend to have "abundant knowledge" upon subjects you cannot honestly claim to have "abundant knowledge" on given the paucity of sources to base any knowledge upon.

Modern druids don't have 'knowledge' about ancient druids they have "beliefs" about them which isn't the same thing at all.

Could any christians please explain why they think that paganism and satanism are the same?

I explained this back in post 50.

From their more full on Christian perspectives even though you might not actually think satan exists you are actually worshipping satan as you've been tricked by satan into worshipping him/other demons in disguise.

I explained this back in post 50.

From their more full on Christian perspectives even though you might not actually think satan exists you are actually worshipping satan as you've been tricked by satan into worshipping him/other demons in disguise.

so you did :)

There are as many divisions between different branches of Paganism as there are in Christian based faiths , a basic failing of most Christian based faiths is to say "my way is the only way" , sadly this view also exists in some Pagans , although fortunately not as often as a basic tenet is that your belief is personal to yourself as all paths lead to the same place , Wicca , Witchcraft , Druidism etc are ALL accepted as coming under the umbrella of Paganism in the public view , they are all minority beliefs and it is sad that some followers spend their time belittling others of "similar" beliefs instead of concentrating on their own path. Dragon , by using the term "wannabe" in such a perjorative manner you do yourself no credit and it makes you sound narrow minded.

To get back on topic , No , many christians do not understand paganism at all , despite the fact that historical evidence proves that most of their calendar was based on existing pagan events , their minds are closed to anything not handed down to them in their bible , and it is futile arguing with them because their argument is based on faith and not logic so you will never convince them. At best you may be able to demonstrate that their perceptions of what we do are incorrect but no more than that.

There are as many divisions between different branches of Paganism as there are in Christian based faiths , a basic failing of most Christian based faiths is to say "my way is the only way" , sadly this view also exists in some Pagans , although fortunately not as often as a basic tenet is that your belief is personal to yourself as all paths lead to the same place , Wicca , Witchcraft , Druidism etc are ALL accepted as coming under the umbrella of Paganism in the public view , they are all minority beliefs and it is sad that some followers spend their time belittling others of "similar" beliefs instead of concentrating on their own path. Dragon , by using the term "wannabe" in such a perjorative manner you do yourself no credit and it makes you sound narrow minded.

To get back on topic , No , many christians do not understand paganism at all , despite the fact that historical evidence proves that most of their calendar was based on existing pagan events , their minds are closed to anything not handed down to them in their bible , and it is futile arguing with them because their argument is based on faith and not logic so you will never convince them. At best you may be able to demonstrate that their perceptions of what we do are incorrect but no more than that.

If you consider yourself an expert in these matters, then perhaps you would be good enough to run your eye over this for me.

http://www.robinhoodloxley.net/mycustompage0047.htm

Archived