Vote Lib/Dem Get Tory

But why couldn't he have done that in opposition? His party hold the balance of power so they could have voted for the Tory policies they agreed with and effectively blocked the ones they didn't.

In order for bills to proceed through the house of commons there would have to be a proper debate and the arguments won or lost.

and the government would have been weak and collapsed in a few months, in the meantime the pound would have bombed and our bonds would be less popular than greek bonds

cameron wasn't particularly liked by segments of his party before the election and presiding over a minority government would be similar to john majors experience towards the end of his term. major had the luxury of a relatively benign economic situation, cameron doesn't. at the minute we need strong government and like it or not this was the only alternative

he now has a chance of a strong government and is probably closer to the lib dems than the extreme edges of his own party

and the government would have been weak and collapsed in a few months, in the meantime the pound would have bombed and our bonds would be less popular than greek bonds

cameron wasn't particularly liked by segments of his party before the election and presiding over a minority government would be similar to john majors experience towards the end of his term. major had the luxury of a relatively benign economic situation, cameron doesn't. at the minute we need strong government and like it or not this was the only alternative

he now has a chance of a strong government and is probably closer to the lib dems than the extreme edges of his own party

Why would the Govt have been weak? Why would it have collapsed? Because it failed to win the debate in Parliament and get it's policies voted through? Well whose fault would that be?

I acknowledge my scenario would have to involve all 3 parties acting as adults, trying to represent their own constituents and not being whipped into line. Being non partisan in fact and passing bills for the good of the nation. Maybe thats just a pipe dream.

But why couldn't he have done that in opposition? His party hold the balance of power so they could have voted for the Tory policies they agreed with and effectively blocked the ones they didn't.

Cue the Tories complaining the Lib Dems were blocking the recovery, calling an election and perhaps winning a majority?

A pretty astute piece of work by Clegg if he has got something that prevents that scenario.

Why would the Govt have been weak? Why would it have collapsed? Because it failed to win the debate in Parliament and get it's policies voted through? Well whose fault would that be?

I acknowledge my scenario would have to involve all 3 parties acting as adults, trying to represent their own constituents and not being whipped into line. Being non partisan in fact and passing bills for the good of the nation. Maybe thats just a pipe dream.

if a government can't do anything because its bills are either blocked or amended beyond recognition then government basically stops, this is why wilson had two elections in 1974

the opposition parties would allow some bills through and pick the time most suited to them to collapse the government

Twisting me words there...:) what about the people that want to work, but cant due to no fault of their own...

they rely on benefits, but the coalition will cut cut cut !!!:)

I don't mean to twist your words. The people who want to work won't be turning down jobs so won't be impacted. The cut on public spending is more in relation to wasteful government/council departments and over generous benefits (such as the aforementioned JSA).

Archived