Giving your house a name - pretentious?

Is giving your house a name pretentious?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Is giving your house a name pretentious?

Lets canvass opinion on this.

Your house already has a number, and you live on a normal street. All other houses have a number.

You want to give you house a name.

Pretentious or not?

My house has a name carved into the stonework from when it was built, but I don't use it, just the number. However, I don't necessarily think naming a house is pretentious, unless perhaps you live in a terrace and name it something like "Windsor Castle" and have a standard flying from a flag pole.

Why would someone think naming a house would be pretentious?? I don't understand? Why should your house just have a number?

We should and could all do what we like in hope of not being judged by others who could be seen as being jealous.

I think naming of houses is a nice thing to do.

I live @ Ruby House, but thats a block of 12 bedsit type places, and was bulit like that and built under that name... I think naming houses "XX Place or House" (where XX is your family/surname) is fine, but most other names dont seem to work most of the time...

the biggest thing I'd say is pick the correct name, and dont rush into choosing the name, it has to be right and suit / fit the house and the area, otherwise it will sound wrong, it could sound like your a snooty person, or it could just make people laugh :)

There was a family who named their house "Apin Way" They had won the football pools, by choosing the numbers with a pin, and had the house built with the winnings.

I haven't a name, just a number.

Archived