Giving your house a name - pretentious?

Is giving your house a name pretentious?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Is giving your house a name pretentious?

My home is simply known as "The lunatic Asylum"

I have called a place that before, other names have included, the shagpad, dos house, opium den and crack central, all names pertaining the property/local area.

I don't think I'd have had a sign put up though.

There was a house near where I used to live called Fawkham Hall which made me laugh :hihi:

:hihi:

I used to work somewhere with the postcode ending 4QU.

It's pity there isn't an S22 4QU. With S2 looking similar to a love-heart.

I'm not sure how naming your house makes you fake, conceited, or arrogant.

Maybe pretentious has another meaning, of which I'm not aware.

But, really, who are we to judge innocent actions of others?

It'll be "pretentious" next to name your car...

Some houses are just crying out for a name and you know which they are because you can feel it.

In other words giving a house a name because you can may be pretentiuos but giving it the name it wants is not, same with cars we don't name all our cars but some of them just seem to name themselves.

In my teens, on my way to my gf's place, in a suburb of London, I used to walk past a house named "The House of Maāt" (lookie here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat)

The front garden was littered with carved stone scultures (mostly heads) and I kinda thought it was pretty cool rather than pretentious. The mystery was heightened by the fact that I never saw anyone go in or out of that house and the curtains were always closed.

In my teens, on my way to my gf's place, in a suburb of London, I used to walk past a house named "The House of Maāt" (lookie here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat)

The front garden was littered with carved stone scultures (mostly heads) and I kinda thought it was pretty cool rather than pretentious. The mystery was heightened by the fact that I never saw anyone go in or out of that house and the curtains were always closed.

Ta for the link on Maat. Spent about four hours reading it and still non the wiser! :rolleyes::)

... same with cars we don't name all our cars but some of them just seem to name themselves.

Many years ago some friends of mine acquired their first car, a real old banger. They called it Corncod - because it wasn't anywhere near as fast as Concord! :hihi: Their next car, an even old banger, was called Icarus - because he didn't quite make either! :roll::)

Giving your house a name is somewhat pretentious. But then again, should I win the lottery and move into something more substantial than my current humble abode, I'd probably be tempted to give the place a name, maybe something like Lotto Hall? :cool:

redrobbo now goes in search of last weeks unchecked lottery ticket!

Archived