Giving your house a name - pretentious?

Is giving your house a name pretentious?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Is giving your house a name pretentious?

Lets canvass opinion on this.

Your house already has a number, and you live on a normal street. All other houses have a number.

You want to give you house a name.

Pretentious or not?

Just depends who you are really.It could be very misleading to the postman...lol

I lived in a house named "Lee Side" which apparently means at the side of a field but by the time I lived there there was no field just a huge housing estate. A house name isn't just for one owner it's forever unless someone goes to the expence of getting the deeds changed.

Lea Side is "By the side of a field", but Lee Side means the side which gets the most wind!

In an earlier comment, someone talked about confusing...

Hmm, well, what about a white-painted house called "Green Gables"? That'd certainly be confusing - to the nth degree :D

Lets canvass opinion on this.

Your house already has a number, and you live on a normal street. All other houses have a number.

You want to give you house a name.

Pretentious or not?

How is giving your home a name seen as being pretentious?

Lea Side is "By the side of a field", but Lee Side means the side which gets the most wind!

In an earlier comment, someone talked about confusing...

Hmm, well, what about a white-painted house called "Green Gables"? That'd certainly be confusing - to the nth degree :D

The house was actually called Leah Side. I think my owd mum was being a bit pretentious :)

Archived