The New Government, will they.. Tax credits/EMA

As Labour also tried to do in 2006:

The government is considering ending milk subsidies for 1.2 million primary school children in England as they cost too much to administer and do little to improve health, the Guardian can reveal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/04/health.schoolmeals

Please do not confuse the issue with your true facts.

Parliamentary papers released under the 30 year rule show that Mrs Thatcher (the Milk Snatcher) was opposed to the idea as originally presented (a complete withdrawal of all free milk) but implemented the cuts required on the principle of collective cabinet responsibility.

it also revealed that she advised against cutting free school milk for all children on the grounds it would "arouse widespread public antagonism"

LINK

She proposed the compromise, later accepted, that milk would only be available to pupils in nursery and primary schools.

She told the Treasury that this would reduce the proposed cuts by £20m over the four-year life of the government and would free up cash for a new primary school building programme.

LINK

A a new primary school building programme? God, the pure evilness of that woman beggars belief!

At the time (1970/71) the Tories were implementing cuts due to the profligacy of the previous Labour administration.

As Edward Heath's Conservatives took power from Harold Wilson in June 1970, the economic outlook was looking bleak.

Sound familiar?

In response to the first post - I hope EMA does stop. I've spoken about this before - I never received it at college, even though friends did. Just because your parents earn over the set amount (30k I think it was at the time when I was at college 9 years ago) doesn't mean that they are necessarily going to share the wealth so to speak.

In my opinion it's ludicrous to pay a teenager £10 - £30 as a reward for doing a full week at college. If you can't do it without a cash incentive then where's the hope?! There's nothing to stop you getting a part time job or weekend job as I and many others had/have to do.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but this is one thing that winds me up.

In response to the first post - I hope EMA does stop. I've spoken about this before - I never received it at college, even though friends did. Just because your parents earn over the set amount (30k I think it was at the time when I was at college 9 years ago) doesn't mean that they are necessarily going to share the wealth so to speak.

In my opinion it's ludicrous to pay a teenager £10 - £30 as a reward for doing a full week at college. If you can't do it without a cash incentive then where's the hope?! There's nothing to stop you getting a part time job or weekend job as I and many others had/have to do.

yep as ridiculous as the £250 for children when they reach 18 which is frankly weird! ooh just heard they will be reducing this although I wish it was going entirely.

It offends me!!!!! Thatcher stopped dole money all together for 16-18 years olds. If you needed money you had to skivvy on a yts scheme for a pittance. The e.m.a. Is labours best piece of legislation. It encourages continuing in education . Thatcher abandoned a whole generation of northern kids whom fathers were put out of work by her.

It offends me!!!!! Thatcher stopped dole money all together for 16-18 years olds. If you needed money you had to skivvy on a yts scheme for a pittance. The e.m.a. Is labours best piece of legislation. It encourages continuing in education . Thatcher abandoned a whole generation of northern kids whom fathers were put out of work by her.

wouldnt that be because most 16-18 year olds live at home?

Nope it was about slave labour. Now con/dem are in ,kids unemployed will be paid an extra 10pound to work full time or they will get their money stopped. Or anyone out of work for that matter....... Those that can will or they will get Nowt.

Government policies are designed to keep people living at home till 25, hence no tax credits, lower rates of benefit and lower rates of housing benefit for the under 25's.

Bare it in mind if you have children.

Archived