Church of England in funding crisis.

In reality of course the church has plenty of money. Even that report points out they made a 4m profit last year, aside from their £3.5 Billion in assets

The church is asset-rich (asset-insanely-wealthy, in fact) but cash-poor, and suggestions that they should sell off a couple of hundred churches for building land tend not to go down well. Mostly with the people who live in the towns and villages where such churches are, who don't use them but don't want them sold off either.

I care an awful lot for religion. I don't want people imposing it on me, spending taxpayer's money on funding it, giving it any privileges or telling children that they have to participate in it.

It would be such a shame though to have all those out of work vicars hanging around the jobcentres.

Yes, there are enough 'idle liars' hanging about without adding to it.

Thing is though, a lot of their assets are not religious buildings, they are what they call "corporate property" - these includes shops, factories and other totally non-religion related property. In essence the church is a business that uses the fact it is a religion to get tax breaks.

I doubt there would be many objections to those being sold, as most people don't realise they are owned by the church anyway.

Perhaps this is why they only ever float the idea of selling churches - a cunning ploy to keep hold of all the non-church-related property while Outraged Public takes steps to prevent the sale of the churches, so they get to keep everything.

Or you could be completely wrong. However I suspect the first paragraph is more likely to be true. :cool:

Their reserves are being plundered and parishoners are being asked to dig deeper into their pockets. Story here.

Please remember this on sunday when you are in church and donate accordingly. Some people just give 10% of their salary direct to the church a bit like a 'tithe'. There must be something that you can go without to find extra cash so they don't have to lay off priests or merge jobs, poor lambs.

Bless. My heart bleeds. Apparently, the CoE has a rapid response unit. And here is their prayer. Obviously, it doesn't work...........

The rapid response prayer

Lord God, we live in disturbing days:

across the world,

prices rise,

debts increase,

banks collapse,

jobs are taken away,

and fragile security is under threat.

Loving God, meet us in our fear

and hear our prayer:

be a tower of strength amidst the

shifting sands,

and a light in the darkness;

help us receive your gift of peace,

and fix our hearts where true joys

are to be found,

in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Their reserves are being plundered and parishoners are being asked to dig deeper into their pockets. Story here.

Please remember this on sunday when you are in church and donate accordingly. Some people just give 10% of their salary direct to the church a bit like a 'tithe'. There must be something that you can go without to find extra cash so they don't have to lay off priests or merge jobs, poor lambs.

Nice to see that you have changed your attitude towards religion and are now trying to help raise funds to help the Church. What made you change your views ?

Nice to see that you have changed your attitude towards religion and are now trying to help raise funds to help the Church. What made you change your views ?

I'm not sure he has. Maybe he's encouraging churchgoers to dip into their pockets so that the Church will have no excuse for begging for public funds.

I'm not sure he has. Maybe he's encouraging churchgoers to dip into their pockets so that the Church will have no excuse for begging for public funds.

I thought it was a bit unfair to infer that 10% of a persons salary was not enough to give.

He has probably spent a lot of time thinking about religion and realised his mistake in not being a beleiver in the past.

Archived