Ladies Folly, St Peters Church and the Old Tankersley Hall

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me. My Grandad got me interested in the History of Tankersley but unfortunately died before he could impart all his wisdom!

I'm looking for information, old photos, memories etc regarding the location of Ladies Folly - which I believe has now been lost, and historic information about St Peters Church, the Battle of Tankersley Hill and the Old Tankersley Hall, all located off Black Lane I believe!!

Ladies Folly stood about 50yds to the left of the 3rd green on Tankersley Park Golf Course. It was erected in 1760 by the 2nd Marquis of Rockingham and demolished in 1960. An inscripted stone now marks the spot.

I will try to put a photo of it up for you.

Ladies Folly stood about 50yds to the left of the 3rd green on Tankersley Park Golf Course. It was erected in 1760 by the 2nd Marquis of Rockingham and demolished in 1960. An inscripted stone now marks the spot.

I will try to put a photo of it up for you.

img487.jpg

I hope that this helps you

You can find information about Tankersley Hall in the book by the local historian T Walter Hall, A Descriptive Catalogue of Charters and Manorial Records relating to Lands in Tankersley, Fanshawe Gate, Dinnington and Longshaw...(Sheffield 1937) which the public library should have. It includes a reproduction of an engraving of Tankersley Park (including the hall as it was).

For some time the hall was occupied by Sir Richard Fanshawe, 1st Baronet (1608–1666), English diplomat, translator, and poet. He became the ambassador to Portugal and Spain; he published a translation of the Italian poem Il Pastor Fido (The Faithful Shepherd) and his manuscript of his translations of poems by Horace and Boethius (from the Consolation of Philosophy) is in the British Library. After his death his wife, Lady Ann, wrote her memoirs, which have since been published in several editions and throw much light on their life.

Hope that helps.

Archived