Can't help the way I'm feeling.

Whatever anyone says about your wedding day being the happiest of your life is pretty much tosh.

Wedding days, even really lovely ones, are stressful, tiring, scary, pressured events. Think less about the wedding day and more about the marriage ;)

Your dad can choose to be there to see you on your day or he can choose not to be- you cannot make him do either. If he doesn't want to be there then trying to force him would be a really silly thing to do, guaranteeing an unhappy result for you.

I wouldn't want anyone who didn't want to be at my wedding to be there to be honest.

It is within your power to make this a good day.

Hold your head up high, ask your mum to walk you down the aisle (she'll be thrilled) and decide that your day will be a day of sharing happiness and good things with the people who DO want to be there to share such an important event with you.

I'm glad to hear that you're turning this around in your head and that you are starting to believe that you have the power to make your day a happy one, with or without members of your family.

When I got married my (now ex-) husband's family all squabbled with each other when it came to deciding who came to the wedding and because of this eventually decided 2 weeks before the day that none of them were coming. As much as this was upsetting, it was also a sign that maybe them being there wouldn't have been such a good thing and possibly it would have resulted in the whole day being uncomfortable and unpleasant, so we decided to just see it as none of them wanting to celebrate with us. As much as that stung, we weren't going to let that ruin the day.

Still, lovely wedding, shame about the marriage ;)

Archived