David Miliband announces candidacy for Labour leadership

who cares....they wont get back in for many years..

I wouldn't be so sure of that. it's not like they've been reduced to the utter rump the Tories were in 1997, with no hope of ever coming back for a decade. They still have a formidable number of MP's.

With a new leader and a lot of luck, and especially if this lot make a hack job of governing, they could easily bounce back. They're only 3.5% away from getting a majority in any future election.

and I doubt Tony Benn will come out of retirement.

Don't you have to be an MP to be leader of the Labour party? Or have the (unelected) Lord Mandy and Alistair Campbell set a precedent for other unelected people to flaunt democratic conventions?

It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that we might have a Labour PM within the year. The new coalition government has a lot of unpopular decisions ahead of it and political decisions of any kind are rarely popular with the British public, mainly due to their incredibly simplistic and superficial understand of what's actually going on.

Now X-Factor, that they understand.

No, you don't need to be an MP to be the Prime Minister though it's many years since that happened. I'm not even sure that you need to be in the Lords either.

It is completely possible for the unelected Mandleson to be PM.

Labour haven't got any outstanding leaders at the moment. Like I said on another thread, they're going to have to go through a few Iain Duncan Smiths before they get their Cameron.

I think you are very wrong. There are no Duncan Hagues dad or Michael Howard type candidates as front runners.

Either of the Miliband's would be very capable or infact a bruiser like Ed Ball's.

Think I would be most tempted by Balls. Think the red top headline writers will be licking their lip's at that prospect!

No, you don't need to be an MP to be the Prime Minister though it's many years since that happened. I'm not even sure that you need to be in the Lords either.

It is completely possible for the unelected Mandleson to be PM.

That would be hillarious-in a scary, sickening way.

Archived