David Miliband announces candidacy for Labour leadership

as stated, the field for candidates in Labour Party leadership elections is restricted to MP's. Peers and Union leaders aren't eligible.

Geoff Hoon for example, having been rejected by the voters in Norwich, isn't eligible to stand even if he wanted to, just like Michael Portillo, and also Malcolm Rifkind, weren't allowed to stand in 1997.

But is it correct to say that is only Labour rules, not the current legal position? If they change their rules they could have Mandleson (unless the law changed and I wasn't aware)

why would they want to change the rules. And why would Labour possibly want Mandelson, or anybody else closely associated with the genesis of New Labour as leader?

this will be the only Labour leadership election since 1980 where there's the slightest doubt as to who will win. Kinnock was a shoo in, Smith was a shoo in whose main opponent wasn't even British and cleared off back to New Zealand when he lost. Blair also a shoo in, even if Brown had run against him, he would have still won it easily.

You just feel like daring them don't you?

Mandy is my favourite politician, hes like a sleaze charicature:love:

I love the idea (although I cant remember who put it in my head) that during the televised debates he had a private mike to gordon. He sent messages such as now try and smile-to do this lift the edges of your lips up and crease your eyes a bit

He pulls all the strings

PM? Don't be complacent and automatically assume that they will win the next election.

My own preference would be John Cruddas, but he does not have a realistic chance. David Miliband is most likely to be next Labour leader.

Let's hope they don't **** it up like they did last time when they allowed the frontrunner to be elected leader unopposed.

as stated, the field for candidates in Labour Party leadership elections is restricted to MP's. Peers and Union leaders aren't eligible.

Geoff Hoon for example, having been rejected by the voters in Norwich, isn't eligible to stand even if he wanted to, just like Michael Portillo, and also Malcolm Rifkind, weren't allowed to stand in 1997.

Geoff Hoon retired, and he wasn't MP in Norwich. That was Charles Clarke.

If it is, that's Labour stuffed. He looks like a 12 year old who's hanging around with the big boys and is so out of his depth it's laughable.

I don't know about that. Yes, he looks like child, but I wouldn't underestimate him. He is a good politician and a savvy one at that.

Archived