David Miliband announces candidacy for Labour leadership

The day that this country has a Muslim prime minister is the time to turn the lights off on the way out..better to leave on your own accord than be driven out of your own country.

Are you a professional wally? or do you have to work hard at it?

Are you a professional wally? or do you have to work hard at it?

Why ? I believe that in the hands of a Muslim Prime Minister this country would be finished as we know it,thats my view and I dare say the view of millions of others in this country.You ought to sit and put your brain in gear before engaging your abyss of a mouth,the only way that we should ever really get a Muslim Prime mnister is with the Muslim population possibly out numbering the rest..and we certainly dont want that do we....now who is the wally

There is no law against having a party leader who isn't an MP. A Prime Minister has to be an MP - Alec Douglas-Home resigned his peerage and a quickie by-election was called so in a safe Tory seat, so that he could take over as PM.

Labour rules specify that a party leader must be an MP, and given that the party has serious hopes of winning elections, there is no sensible reason to change them.

as Michael Portillo knew only too well when his agent informed him that he'd lost Enfield Southgate in 1997, only Conservative MPs can stand in Conservative party leadership elections too. No-one else is eligible.

The day that this country has a Muslim prime minister is the time to turn the lights off on the way out..better to leave on your own accord than be driven out of your own country.

What's really funny is that while you're busy foaming with rabid paranoia that someone who is no longer an MP is (not) hypothetically going for the leadership of a party which is out of power for the foreseeable and hence (not) going to end up within sniffing distance of hypothetically being Prime Minister...

...while you're swimming about in red mist about all that, a muslim woman has just made a historic first by being appointed to the cabinet. And you didn't even notice. (Good luck to her btw). :roll:

ETA: A browse of the BBC site tells that when she ran for parliament she lost to none other than Shahid Malik.

Why ? I believe that in the hands of a Muslim Prime Minister this country would be finished as we know it,thats my view and I dare say the view of millions of others in this country.You ought to sit and put your brain in gear before engaging your abyss of a mouth,the only way that we should ever really get a Muslim Prime mnister is with the Muslim population possibly out numbering the rest..and we certainly dont want that do we....now who is the wally

You really mustn't fret so NoddyHolder. Shahid Malik lost his seat, so he's not even an MP and thus disqualfiied from standing for the Labour leadership.

{By the way, did you notice that the first three Muslim women MPs have been elected to parliament, and that in Wolverhampton South-West (which used to be represented by Enoch Powell) a Conservative has replaced the Labour MP? His name is Paul Uppal. He's of East Arican descent, and also a ........Sikh!}

{By the way, did you notice that the first three Muslim women MPs have been elected to parliament, and that in Wolverhampton South-West (which used to be represented by Enoch Powell) a Conservative has replaced the Labour MP? His name is Paul Uppal. He's of East Arican descent, and also a ........Sikh!}

That'll have Enoch coffin spinning.

PM? Don't be complacent and automatically assume that they will win the next election.

My own preference would be John Cruddas, but he does not have a realistic chance. David Miliband is most likely to be next Labour leader.

Let's hope they don't **** it up like they did last time when they allowed the frontrunner to be elected leader unopposed.

John McDonnell would be my first preference, but John Cruddas is probably more realistic.

Archived