Taking aerosols abroad.

I know that you have to take liquids in a small resealable plastic bag and not bigger than 100mls. What I don't know and after googling am still not much wiser is what about aerosols such as hairspray and deodorant is it safe or even allowed to take them in the hold luggage?

It's not that far away:

Liquids include:

Water and other drinks, soups, syrups

Creams, lotions and oils

Perfumes

Lipsticks

Sprays

Gels, including hair and shower gels

Contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foams and deodorants

Pastes, including toothpaste

Liquid-solid mixtures

Mascara

Any other item of a similar consistency

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/SecurityProcedure

I know that you have to take liquids in a small resealable plastic bag and not bigger than 100mls. What I don't know and after googling am still not much wiser is what about aerosols such as hairspray and deodorant is it safe or even allowed to take them in the hold luggage?

The liquids in 100mls bottles are only for hand luggage. Larger bottles and aerosols go in your suitcase in thehold.

The liquids in 100mls bottles are only for hand luggage. Larger bottles and aerosols go in your suitcase in thehold.

I know that the 100mls of liquid only apply to hand luggage but it also says no flammable liquids in hold luggage. I thought with it being a pressurised container it might not be allowed I have visions of it exploding and ruining my clothes or them thinking I am trying to blow the plane up.:hihi: If other people have taken them and they have not exploded it must be OK though thanks.

Your airline website should give you the answer that you are looking for, but they nearly all say that personal quantities of aerosol toiletries are allowed in checked baggage.

For example, BA say the following ARE permitted in checked baggage:

Non-radioactive medicinal or toilet articles (including aerosols) such as hair sprays, perfumes, colognes and medicines containing alcohol.

The total net quantity of all above mentioned articles must not exceed 2kg (4.4 lb) or 2L (2

qt), and the net quantity of each single article must not exceed 0.5kg (1 lb) or 0.5 L (1 pt).

Release valves on aerosols must be protected.

Your airline website should give you the answer that you are looking for, but they nearly all say that personal quantities of aerosol toiletries are allowed in checked baggage.

Thats correct - however, last week I had to bin 2 cans of coke at the airport :loopy:

Thats correct - however, last week I had to bin 2 cans of coke at the airport :loopy:

Quite true. You can take as much drink as you want on to an airplane, but only if you buy it after you've cleared security. (By a completely unrelated coincidence, drinks on sale after you've cleared security are very expensive...)

Archived