One in seven schoolchildren don't speak English as a first language

Good riddance Labour...this is largley down to them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278130/English-language-ONE-MILLION-schoolchildren.html

From the article:

"Nearly one in seven school children do not speak English as their first language, official figures released today show.

Including state primary, secondary and special schools in England, 14 per cent of pupils speak another language at home, according to the Department for Education.

The data reveals a picture of a changing Britain and shows the challenge faced by many schools where they have to integrate "

I like the noises that the Conservatives are making on

these issues:

Introduce a clear strategy for national integration to build a stronger and more united society;

Make English a priority for all communities by redirecting some of the money the Government currently spends on translation into additional English classes...

very true, english lessons will help people that come to the uk and give them opportunity to integrate fully and find work easier too. translaters cannot really be that cost effective and wouldnt help with day to day life imo.

So? A child can learn a second language extremely fast, and integrate it into their home life to help their parents.

What is wrong with speaking another language at home? It doesn't affect us. I hate to see language skills die, because it is a tie to their culture, to their past. Aslong as their English is good enough for them to contribute to society, what more do you want from them?

Good riddance Labour...this is largley down to them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278130/English-language-ONE-MILLION-schoolchildren.html

From the article:

"Nearly one in seven school children do not speak English as their first language, official figures released today show.

Including state primary, secondary and special schools in England, 14 per cent of pupils speak another language at home, according to the Department for Education.

The data reveals a picture of a changing Britain and shows the challenge faced by many schools where they have to integrate "

I like the noises that the Conservatives are making on

these issues:

Introduce a clear strategy for national integration to build a stronger and more united society;

Make English a priority for all communities by redirecting some of the money the Government currently spends on translation into additional English classes...

What's your problem with this exactly?

What's your problem with this exactly?

It's a fair point to be brought up.....a lot of these kids are either new to the country themselves or their parent's are. The housing they live in, the schools and health services they use are all becoming stretched....I think we covered in depth on another thread about England becoming less "English" and I know you think this is great but there are a lot of other factors that will impact us all......the facts that raised this thread are but a symptom of an upcoming overcrowded, stretched England with friction between the many communities.....

I think it would not be unfair to say that many of the cultures in the UK are likely to have more children than the "British" people and this itself is going to put a big strain on the country...I mentioned before that the UK is so small so why is it that all roads in many immigrants eyes ends here when there is a whole world out there?

Nearly one in seven school children do not speak English as their first language, official figures released today show.

Geordies, Scouse, Brummies, Cockernies, Jocks, Taffs - not to mention laik district of Baaaarnsley.

Archived