One in seven schoolchildren don't speak English as a first language

It's a fair point to be brought up.....a lot of these kids are either new to the country themselves or their parent's are. The housing they live in, the schools and health services they use are all becoming stretched....I think we covered in depth on another thread about England becoming less "English" and I know you think this is great but there are a lot of other factors that will impact us all......the facts that raised this thread are but a symptom of an upcoming overcrowded, stretched England with friction between the many communities.....

I think it would not be unfair to say that many of the cultures in the UK are likely to have more children than the "British" people and this itself is going to put a big strain on the country...I mentioned before that the UK is so small so why is it that all roads in many immigrants eyes ends here when there is a whole world out there?

As you can see from the map on this page we aren't a particularly popular destination for immigrants.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?ID=402

Good riddance Labour...this is largley down to them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278130/English-language-ONE-MILLION-schoolchildren.html

From the article:

"Nearly one in seven school children do not speak English as their first language, official figures released today show.

Including state primary, secondary and special schools in England, 14 per cent of pupils speak another language at home, according to the Department for Education.

The data reveals a picture of a changing Britain and shows the challenge faced by many schools where they have to integrate "

I like the noises that the Conservatives are making on

these issues:

Introduce a clear strategy for national integration to build a stronger and more united society;

Make English a priority for all communities by redirecting some of the money the Government currently spends on translation into additional English classes...

Cymraeg ydy 'r 'n anianol balog ar lafar i mewn lawer adlamau i mewn 'r UK 'n arbennig i mewn Cymru!

Meaning .... Welsh is the natural tongue spoken in many homes in the UK - especially in Wales!

The two young children of English friends of mine were fluent in three languages by the time they were 7. They spoke English at school, French at home weekdays and Polish at home weekends.

So, 1ofTheseDays, why not stop rushing into print with your :loopy: stories?

I see no problem with people speaking a different language at home as long as they can all speak english well enough to form a part of our society.

I agree with that. Alot of white english teenagers also have problems speaking the language.

Good riddance Labour...this is largley down to them.[/i]

Oh dear you really are so predictable. Different user name, same bull.

Just love the fact that your first line of a post moaning about language use has a primary school level spelling mistake....:hihi:

It's hugely impressive how many children are bi-lingual. Many speak English at school and their mother tongue at home. I know a six year old who is fluent in English, Catalan and Spanish. Truly amazing.

Good riddance Labour...this is largley down to them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278130/English-language-ONE-MILLION-schoolchildren.html

From the article:

"Nearly one in seven school children do not speak English as their first language, official figures released today show.

Including state primary, secondary and special schools in England, 14 per cent of pupils speak another language at home, according to the Department for Education.

The data reveals a picture of a changing Britain and shows the challenge faced by many schools where they have to integrate "

I like the noises that the Conservatives are making on

these issues:

Introduce a clear strategy for national integration to build a stronger and more united society;

Make English a priority for all communities by redirecting some of the money the Government currently spends on translation into additional English classes...

Not sure what point you're trying to make here but you're obviously not happy about it. How many languages can your kids speak then?

Archived