What are my statutory rights?

regardless or not if something is excempt from the 30 day money back guarantee you still have rights to take something back if the item is not what you agreed to buy. Just a quick question did you have to pay for the item before it got sent away for the pendant to be made??

I beleive the pendant would have been in the shop, paid for, then sent away to be done..

Be very clear when returning the item that you are returning it under your "statutory rights" specifically the 1979 Sale of Goods and Services Act because the item is "not of merchantable quality" (i.e. not fit for sale) as the Act says it must be.

"Statutory rights" are rights given to you by statute, i.e. law. Argos offers a refund policy in addition to your rights but they cannot take your rights away, which is why wording usually includes the phrase "your statutory rights are unaffected".

Shop assistants often do not understand that and may get confused and try to tell you it is not covered by their guarantee. Stand your ground and patiently explain it you are returning it under the Sale of Goods Act and not under their guarantee.

Escalate to a manager if necessary. If you get no joy then call Consumer Direct.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

^^^Good advice.

IKEA are a pain in the butt for this. Every time I've had to return something to them do they try and convince me that their company policy supersedes the law of the land.

Stick to your guns and you will get a result. :)

Archived