Car auction help please

I am looking to buy a car from auction from in and arround the Sheffield area.

I have found several, ie Bawtry Auction, Chesterfield car auction, manheim car auction just over the end of the parkway in Rotherham.

But what I want to know is, which one has the best reputation for selling quality used cars.

I have a budget of £1500 and need to do 400 miles a week for 3months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have found several, ie Bawtry Auction, Chesterfield car auction, manheim car auction just over the end of the parkway in Rotherham.

But what I want to know is, which one has the best reputation for selling quality used cars.

Thanks

They are auctions, none of them have good reputations for quality cars, there are often reasons why cars goto auctions.

I think the auction site in Chesterfield has closed (it was part of the Bawtry group).

Bawtry do tend to deal in the lower end of the market, whereas Manheim tend to deal in mainly ex-fleet cars.

Some dealers do use Auctions to sell cars that have gone over their time in stock (usually 45 days) limits.

If you do decide to buy from an Auction I'd suggest having someone who knows what they're doing go with you.

To be honest buying at Auction isn't that much cheaper than buying privately.

I used to buy quite a few of my cars through auctions, but to be honest the free ads and ebay are just as good a source for cheap vehicles.

My friend is selling a diesel ford mondeo ghia X....it is way up on miles being an ex taxi (195k) but still good for plenty more as it has been well serviced....its the top of the range model with full heated leather and all the toys....it is an 04 reg and black...this would normally be worth around 4k so a good buy....let me know if you are interested....£1700.00 no offers

Thanks

av u tryed the 1 at chesterfeild

Buying from a car auction with a budget of £1500 with no experience of auctions and little mechanical knowledge is a recipe for lots of tears.

If you were buying a car with a budget of say £4000 and over different story but my advice is to buy private where you have all the time in the world to check over your purchase.

Most cars within that budget are there for a reason any cars that look good will almost certainly have some major mechanical problem otherwise they would be advertised private.

If you do have mechanical knowledge and prepared to do some work then go ahead.

Not sure what this reputation crap is some are going on about with Auctions they take what is offered for sale,some will have more fleet stuff than others upping their image but thats not really applicable here.

If your a gambler then go ahead but id say your better off on Ebay or the motor trader or piston heads etc.

If you want a reliable car, get a Peugeot 306 diesel, as new as you possibly can, with preferably under 100,000 miles.

There's a reason they're highly sought and why mine on Ebay fetched £800 even after it was written off!

Younges of Sheffield have a 306 diesel in, £1695:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA49906&Style=4&Id=AETV46347451&Image=http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AETA49906/AETV46347451_1c.jpg

If you want a reliable car, get a Peugeot 306 diesel, as new as you possibly can, with preferably under 100,000 miles.

There's a reason they're highly sought and why mine on Ebay fetched £800 even after it was written off!

Younges of Sheffield have a 306 diesel in, £1695:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA49906&Style=4&Id=AETV46347451&Image=http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AETA49906/AETV46347451_1c.jpg

A Peugeot reliable? Really?! Never thought i'd hear that. Most people i know with french cars in general are always having one problem or another. Maybe you got very lucky :)

A Peugeot reliable? Really?! Never thought i'd hear that. Most people i know with french cars in general are always having one problem or another. Maybe you got very lucky :)

Or maybe you don't know a thing about Peugeot 306 diesels!

Have a look on Autotrader and see the high mileage cars still going strong, many still looking like cars half their age or mileage!

Maybe you should have a run over to the Lleyn Peninsula in North Wales and see the huge number of ancient 205 still going strong!

Archived