Why do men like to wear scruffy clothes?

My ex used to wear his England football pyjamas out and about (not technically pyjamas, more of a "sleeping outfit"). We're talking someone with a very high standard of education and a rather plummy occupation, not a chav :|.

I LOVE dressing up and clothes and all that - whether I'm single or in a couple. Fashion is one of the things I am very passionate about. Ex Mr Millhouses once came to meet me and said with a big grin on his face "I've got something for you to wear". He wanted me to put an Arsenal shirt over the top of my little black dress, because they had just won. In fact, he always seemed to have a slightly unhealthy obsession with putting me in his clothes ("so you're more comfortable, darling").

Count yourself lucky with chino's and a shirt :|

im an old punk so wear scruffy casual these days anyway, its my thong :P
My bold

Goodness me!!! :wow:

I usually wander round looking like a bag lady. Trousers streaked with old paint or Polyfilla, often held up with string or elastic, T-shirts with stains, holes, etc. But they are always washed and clean, if not ironed!

I love clothes - especially lovely, bright colours - and make an effort when I go out. But it seems a bit pointless wearing anything smart every day, because it'd just get covered in muddy pawprints or wipe my mucky hands on it.

why is everyone so obsessed with looks, comfort should play a big part in what you wear, if your comfortable in your clothes then youll be fine...

"If your comfortable in your clothes, your comfortable in yourself :)"

When we go out to a restaurant my OH likes nothing better than to wear an ancient blue cotton shirt that has faded like a pair of old jeans, and will match it up with an equally battered pair of Chinos. At the same time he insists that I wear something smart. His friends seem to dress the same.

What is it about men and worn out clothes?:huh:

Maybe because he's a straight guy and doesn't need to tart himself up?

My ex used to wear his England football pyjamas out and about (not technically pyjamas, more of a "sleeping outfit"). We're talking someone with a very high standard of education and a rather plummy occupation, not a chav :|.

Aw god, I'd have just kicked him in the balls and shouted "gooooaaaallllll" if I were you.

You are getting the word scruffy confused with terms like dirty, filthy,grimy,foul,squalid,soiled,slovenly and theres more.

Your hands would be scruffy if thier appearance was just untidy or shabby not dirty or any of the others from above, your use of terminology would cause confusion as to your meaning which is the reason we have words for all these things.

Now for the matter at hand i personally wear army lightweights and a t-shirt for general day to day activities, cords or chinos and the inevitable t-shirt for casual wear.

And if i'm going out somewhere posh i have plenty of smart clothes.

But i am no fashion victim and dislike fashion in general i wear what is comfortable and i would never wear anything that i felt would compromise my ability to have fun.

The English Multilingual Dictionary defines the word as <Dirty and Untidy> deriving from the word Scurf:P

Archived