Getting Married in a Church - Please Read!!

After originally deciding to get married a sheffield town hall one or two of my friends pulled me up to inform me that their close friends had managed to get married at a church for free.

After asking them the usual questions such as dont we have to be members of the church of devoted religious people etc etc

I was told "no ring up the churches and see what you get offered because some places just ask for a small donation to the church".

I dont quite believe it myself but i know that these people definately wouldnt lie to me. Is this possible??? If so it would be perfect because i would love to get married in a church just never saw it as an option due to money.

thanks

Do you go to church regularly? I am sure your vicar will be able to sort something out for you if you have no money. If you just want the 'big church trip' and are not involved in your local church community, then why should you get any special privelidges?

However as attendance is falling perhaps you could get a free marriage if you offer the vicar a two-for-one deal and throw in your mother as well.

You're definitely a Sheffielder - owt for nowt.

At least pay the vicar the minimum wage for turning out to marry a couple of non-believers and the verger for opening the place up for you and your mates, and the heating, choir, bells?

Cheapskate! :)

Erm ok i guess it came across a bit wrong, i want trying to get something for nothing but i was hoping that maybe it might not have cost me £500 as it seems to cost everywhere if you want a nice marraige...

Please dont all jump on my back it was simply a case of miswording - jeez

Get some sponsorship, possibly from a chocolate manufacturer or get married naked and sell the video rights. Also consider product placement. Give me a shout if you want any help with getting your freebie wedding sorted out.

What do you mean by a nice marriage? Mine cost £100 and that included travel to Hackney and two veggie breakfasts on the day.

There are loads of places you can get married, including lovely historic buildings. Do you want a religious place? Why? Are you religious? If so, do you go to church? If you do, the church you attend will be pleased to perform the ceremony! If you're not religious but just want a lovely and impressive location, look around. Check out the City Hall, Cutlers Hall and others.

http://www.weddingvenues.com/venue3095.html as an example of a website to check out

Archived