Homophobe Equalities Minister

Theresa May has been appointed home secretary and minister for equality, replacing Chris Grayling who was dubbed 'homophobic' by gay rights groups after suggesting that bed and breakfast owners should be able to ban gay couples. But analysis by PinkNews.co.uk reveals that Mrs May has voted consistently against gay and transgendered rights.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/05/12/analysis-how-pro-gay-is-the-new-home-secretary-and-minister-for-equality-theresa-may/

Is this not a bit like appointing an illiterate to run the department for education?

Why is she a homophobe?

You will need to ask her.

Evidence that she does not support equal rights for LGBT...

"In 1998 she voted against equalising the age of consent and in 2000, she voted against the repeal of Section 28, legislation that banned the 'promotion' of homosexuality by local government and schools.

In 2001 and 2002 she voted against gay couples jointly adopting children.

In 2004, like much of the Conservative front bench, Mrs May did vote in favour of civil partnerships.

But in the same year, Mrs May didn't attend Parliament for any of the four votes that led to the Gender Recognition Act.

In 2008 she voted in favour of a defeated bill which said that IVF rights should require a male role model- effectively discriminating against lesbian fertility rights"

You will need to ask her.

Evidence that she does not support equal rights for LGBT...

"In 1998 she voted against equalising the age of consent and in 2000, she voted against the repeal of Section 28, legislation that banned the 'promotion' of homosexuality by local government and schools.

In 2001 and 2002 she voted against gay couples jointly adopting children.

In 2004, like much of the Conservative front bench, Mrs May did vote in favour of civil partnerships.

But in the same year, Mrs May didn't attend Parliament for any of the four votes that led to the Gender Recognition Act.

In 2008 she voted in favour of a defeated bill which said that IVF rights should require a male role model- effectively discriminating against lesbian fertility rights"

she has every right to vote on what she wants....so she doesn't like gays...big deal....

she has every right to vote on what she wants....so she doesn't like gays...big deal....

I agree it is a big deal for anyone in public office to be homophobic. It's more than a big deal, it's a disgrace.

..and she is minister for equalities...

I agree it is a big deal for anyone in public office to be homophobic. It's more than a big deal, it's a disgrace.

..and she is minister for equalities...

but why...thought it was good to be honest....bet you loads of mps...are anti gay but keep it a secret....she not home secretary then...

Surely just because she is Equalities Minister doesn't mean she has to agree on some of the more controversial points.

For example, she voted in favour of Civil Partnerships, but voted against gays and lesbians having the same right to adopt and have children.

The latter one is her view, and one I tend to agree with (although I really haven't looked into all the studies.)

Having both a male and female rolemodel is hugely important, and in places where that can be ensured (in the adoption system), perhaps that should be taken into account.

Surely just because she is Equalities Minister doesn't mean she has to agree on some of the more controversial points.

For example, she voted in favour of Civil Partnerships, but voted against gays and lesbians having the same right to adopt and have children.

The latter one is her view, and one I tend to agree with (although I really haven't looked into all the studies.)

Having both a male and female rolemodel is hugely important, and in places where that can be ensured (in the adoption system), perhaps that should be taken into account.

Because of the suppression of homosexuality what evidence is there to use as a counter balance to that assertion? I agree to a degree that children need good role models but not necessarily on the basis of sexual orientation. Considering the rate of abuse by Male/female partnerships and the way in which marriages break down on a regular basis, it would seem the evidence for "normal" relationships should also be questioned? If we're using "role models" in relation to our children that is.

Archived