Surge in Labour Party membership as Lib Dems desert their party

From today's Guardian:

The Labour Party has said that it has gained around 12,000 new members in an unexpected surge in membership since the election, taking it's membership to 166,200 and claimed that some of it's new members are former Lib Dem members who are disillusioned with the coalition.

I personally know of one Lib Dem supporter who joined the Labour Party, I would imagine there will be many more like him in Sheffield, with Clegg representing Hallam.

Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next council elections.

From today's Guardian:

The Labour Party has said that it has gained around 12,000 new members in an unexpected surge in membership since the election, taking it's membership to 166,200 and claimed that some of it's new members are former Lib Dem members who are disillusioned with the coalition.

I personally know of one Lib Dem supporter who joined the Labour Party, I would imagine there will be many more like him in Sheffield, with Clegg representing Hallam.

Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next council elections.

Hardly evidence that Lib Dems are deserting to Labour in their droves though - probably the same as the number who would have left to join the Tories if Labour and the Lib Dems had done a deal.

Hardly evidence that Lib Dems are deserting to Labour in their droves though - probably the same as the number who would have left to join the Tories if Labour and the Lib Dems had done a deal.

Can't imagine that there would be many of them. Would seem a bit odd to register a protest at joining up with the Libs to go and join the right wing Tories, surely?:confused:

Can't imagine that there would be many of them. Would seem a bit odd to register a protest at joining up with the Libs to go and join the right wing Tories, surely?:confused:

The Liberals are a fairly broad church - some will be closer to the Tories in their views than they are to Labour.

Not all Tories are fully paid up Thatcherites either.

At least the thread starter is keeping up his quota of threads attacking the cons and libs.

I think it would do the Labour cause more good if some people took a little time to reflect on the result, didn't rush in to quick judgements based on little to no evidence, name calling the Lib Dems and generally clutching at straws.

I'm a lifelong Labour voter / supporter.

From today's Guardian:

The Labour Party has said that it has gained around 12,000 new members in an unexpected surge in membership since the election, taking it's membership to 166,200

Wow! 166,200. Still, some way to go until labour climb back to 400,000 - that's a loss (on average) of 18,000 members a year. Go Labour!

12,000 is really neither here nor there, but it brings up an interesting thought. If all of the Lib-Dem voters who tended to side more with Labour than the Tories, abandoned their party and started voting for Labour ... would the remaining Lib-Dems end up simply joining the Tories, and would we end up with just two parties again?

Archived