Surge in Labour Party membership as Lib Dems desert their party

As indicated in the op, the 12,000 new recruits are INCLUDED in the total fig of 166,200.

Hmm, well that's quite strange since the figure quoted BEFORE the election was 166000.

The difference being 200.

Now I know labour arn't real hot at maths 'noting what's left in the treasury', but come on, get a grip.

I've no idea. It's not something I'm bothered about, actually, I leave membership issues to my constituency and ward membership secretaries. If you really want to know then write to me c/o Trades & Labour club and I'll have one of our researchers dig out the figures.
How terribly grand you are! Do they have to tug their forelocks when you sweep in? :D

What sort of thing has caused somebody to be 'ejected' from a local Labour Party in the past?

Not folowing or towing the line.

Take for instance an officer of a tenanants association who is charged with exposing corruption by their membership within the city councils contracts awards.

This is where a contractor was said to be the lowest bid for refurb of a block of 12 maisonetts, the price at the time was 112000, when the TA knew that another contractor had actualy bid 55000.

Said scam was published in a leaflet to the TA mambers, the local labour party then started proceedures to throw out the whistle blower.

From today's Guardian:

The Labour Party has said that it has gained around 12,000 new members in an unexpected surge in membership since the election, taking it's membership to 166,200 and claimed that some of it's new members are former Lib Dem members who are disillusioned with the coalition.

For this stat to have any meaning, we need to know how many Labour supporters deserted them for the Lib dems over the last few months. I suspect that number would dwarf the 12,000 by some margin.

For this stat to have any meaning, we need to know how many Labour supporters deserted them for the Lib dems over the last few months. I suspect that number would dwarf the 12,000 by some margin.

And I wonder how misled, and let down they will all feel now.

What we do know is that before the election they claimed to have 166000 members and they now claim 166200 AFTER (they claim) 12000 have 'joined'.

But remember these are still only claims, they haven't actualy published any figures to date.

Archived