Fairtrade tobacco?

I watched a programme last night about child labour in the tobacco industry in Africa, and how the farmers get a very raw deal, along with the children as young as 3 that they employ.

It got me thinking, should there be fairtrade tobacco. I for one would be prepared to pay extra for my tobacco, if it were to benefit the workers.

Given that the cost of a single cigarette is about 30p nowadays in the UK, the majority of that being tax, I also think moral responsibility falls upon our money grabbing government to make sure the workers, be they 3 years old or 60 year old, get paid a fair price for the tobacco they produce.

I watched a programme last night about child labour in the tobacco industry in Africa, and how the farmers get a very raw deal, along with the children as young as 3 that they employ.

It got me thinking, should there be fairtrade tobacco. I for one would be prepared to pay extra for my tobacco, if it were to benefit the workers.

Given that the cost of a single cigarette is about 30p nowadays in the UK, the majority of that being tax, I also think moral responsibility falls upon our money grabbing government to make sure the workers, be they 3 years old or 60 year old, get paid a fair price for the tobacco they produce.

Still mourning the loss of the mouldy Kilo then chem1st ?? :hihi::hihi:

Still mourning the loss of the mouldy Kilo then chem1st ?? :hihi::hihi:

A little, I couldn't bring myself to smoke it, I did pick off the mould and dry it in the oven, but it still smelled, so I had to let it go. :hihi:

At least it was duty free! I'd have cried otherwise! Tbh I'd forgot I'd got it, that's why I'd not dried and stored it properly.

chem1st, there should be fairtrade tobacco but I am not aware of any. from googling I can see 1st nation launched ethically sourced cigarettes a few years ago, but their website seems to have been closed. So I guess there wasn't a market for it.

Phan,

what is this about? do we need a typeface to read it?

⑈⑉⑉⑇⑉ ⑇⑈⑉⑈⑉⑉ ⑉⑈⑉⑉⑈⑉⑇⑈ ⑉⑈⑉⑉⑈⑈⑉

chem1st, there should be fairtrade tobacco but I am not aware of any. from googling I can see 1st nation launched ethically sourced cigarettes a few years ago, but their website seems to have been closed. So I guess there wasn't a market for it.

I suppose it can be easily argued, that it should be up to government to divert money to subsidise the farmers and workers.

I can buy a kg for £x duty free and it will cost me 4(£x) if you include duty. The farmer gets (£x)/40 for his kg.

So for every £1 on tobacco, 75p goes to the government and less than a 2/3 of a penny to the farmer (who has to pay the child labourers etc.).

...So for every £1 on tobacco, 75p goes to the government and less than a 2/3 of a penny to the farmer (who has to pay the child labourers etc.).

Well, if you reduce that by a factor of 10 - so the farmer gets 2/30 of a penny - perhaps you'll have fewer drug dealers growing tobacco to addict young children in Western countries.

Make tobacco growing uneconomical and you'll drive the drug growers out of business.

Archived