Just been sat in travel agents 3 hrs and still not much wiser

Good idea.

If there's a known risk, if insurance is available and you don't bother to take that insurance, then sooner or later a court will decide it's your problem.

(There's adequate precedent in UK shipping cases ... all those New Zealand Citizens (sheep) who went down with their ship.)

The EU compensation laws won't last for ever and given that there have been challenges already, the airlines do not have infinitely deep pockets and even the ECJ must accept common sense at some time, either air travel in Europe will become prohibitively expensive (Airlines will insure - and they will be stuck with really hefty premiums, which they will pass on to their customers) or the people will have to insure themselves.

I'm really glad I've got a fixed-price travel insurance ... premiums are probably going to go up.

Make sure you're volcano dust insured.

Been on the news this morning talking to Simon Calder and he said unless your holiday was booked before April 15th I think, that it is highly unlikely you will be covered as it was a known risk after then. In future he said it is likely that insurance will not cover ash clouds.

Policy terms are always negotiable. There is a potential for a huge loss of trade for the insurance companies themselves (and although they're understandably loth to incur damages by rendering themselves liable (and particularly where that liability may possibly be very large) they are nonetheless very keen to underwrite known problems.

There may be a whole new market about to open up.

I'm not paying.

I have no time to spare.

I will not go by air.

Boats float.

I'm in no hurry.

And the best thing is ... I can actually get away with that!

One of the advantages of being an 'old fart'.

I don't work for a massive corporation, nor am I a tthe back and call of a government.

I work for me.

Well, if I feel like it.

And (as I've now found) if I say "I'm going by boat" They say: "Certainly Sir, where shall we meet you?"

Beats the crap out of ' chicken ding' and having people at the scanner saying: "Is that a pocket python or a one-eyed trouser snake? - Has he got a licence for that?"

there may be many decades of dust disruption

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7127706.ece

If we were smart, we could use that as an excuse to take a little more time over doing things.

It's a lot of fun whizzing around at extremely high speeds at extremely high altitudes (been there, done that, used to have the suit, too) but it's also (IMO) rather nice to be able to sit back and relax. To say: "I'll be with you in a day or two."

Whenever I can, I go by ship. - The kind that takes about 60 days for one orbit.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived