Gas meter box with no door

My meter box has no door on it

This is what British Gas said to me and I think its Tosh

" Meter boxes are the responsibility of the home owner as they are part of the house. Please get in touch with the engineers, who fitted your meter box they will be happy to help you."

I saw a few when I was walking the dog and had an urge to turn the lever and cut off their gas. it would have been so easy. I have a key, even if they have a door, I can still strike. Is it an offence to move a piece of metal through 90 degrees?

My meter box has no door on it

This is what British Gas said to me and I think its Tosh

" Meter boxes are the responsibility of the home owner as they are part of the house. Please get in touch with the engineers, who fitted your meter box they will be happy to help you."

Its not Tosh. The meter box used to be the reposonsibility of Transco (now National Grid). NG, approx 3 years ago decided to transfer responsibility & upkeep of the meter box to the gas consumer/property owner. The meter box has never been the responsibility of the gas supplier, and no longer is it the responsibility of NG. You could go to Jewsons, or the company that National Grid refer consumers requiring door replacements to - Meter Provida, in Chesterfield.

Its not Tosh. The meter box used to be the reposonsibility of Transco (now National Grid). NG, approx 3 years ago decided to transfer responsibility & upkeep of the meter box to the gas consumer/property owner. The meter box has never been the responsibility of the gas supplier, and no longer is it the responsibility of NG. You could go to Jewsons, or the company that National Grid refer consumers requiring door replacements to - Meter Provida, in Chesterfield.

RE NG

If that is so there should be some small print some where saying we agree to this and have to buy our own. They should send us a letter

I might take this to trading standards or watchdog and contact NG

Still not happy... not going to buy one

More comments please....

Archived