Castleton - what to see / do?

Hi all

*finally* finishing a load of work on Tuesday and so am looking forward to a bit of downtime with the missus. Looking at somewhere 'nice' to go to, and heard good things about Castleton.

A nice day in the fresh air, walking around and looking at things. What is there to see out there, I've had a quick look on a few websites but am after tips from people who've been there.

What's parking like out there? We live in S1 and will be driving out.

There is quite a big car park as far as i remember, not been for a while, also there are the the caves you can go in, i think 1 has a boat that takes you round. Plenty of shops and cafes, a pub. Its nice if you get the weather.

Castleton is a brilliant place. We went there on a recent trip back to my motherland. The chippy behind the youth hostel does a mean proper Sheffield fishcake. As well as the caves there's an uphill (and then down again obviously) walk to Peveril Castle and lots of lovely shops along the main street. There's a big car park behind the visitor centre and also parking on the side of the road towards the caves. I can't remember the parking fee but it wasn't too bad. We had a lovely lunch in The Castle pub. I think the cave with the boats is Speedwell (we didn't go down the caves). If you make a day of it there's other places in the area to see and of course there's the reservoirs. I'm getting homesick just thinking of the beautiful Peak District just on Sheffield's doorstep.

I love castleton. Love the fact that the parking is free during the week as well - except on bank holidays. Mainly I go there to visit the Tor. Went into the caves when I was much younger and not felt like going again, but the scenery is great, especially when you are standing on the top of the hill and the sun is setting.

The town is okay, but not struck on the loads of jewellery shops. There used to be a witchy type shop there but it's now a furniture shop. Obviously not the sort of thing the tourists wanted - or the location or shop size put folk off.

The museum is good for passing a bit of time.

Archived