Rock n roll jihad

This group calling themselves Junoon has been a successful band for a good while now. It's like being surprised at Slade being able to sing:hihi: Here are the group in Central Park NY some time ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBPsC5yaj9E&feature=related

It's almost laughable how Pakistan ands Muslims are perceived by some on here as being totally music free society and praying all the time, it's actually quite sad at the lack of general knowledge of other people and cultures.

I'm sorry mel, but that is nonsense.

Just because this guy says it's distorted and that the hate preachers are not real holy men doesn't make it so.

What makes his interpretation of Islam more likely than the hate preachers?

No doubt they would say that his version of Islam is a distortion of the true meaning.

Who are you to arbitrarily decide which one is right?

As an aside I like very much what this dude is doing, playing guitar changed my life (although admittedly I wasn't very likely to become a religious extremist anyway) so maybe he can encourage some young people to turn their energies towards music, that can only be a good thing.

Jimmy knows best:roll::roll:

You ought to get out more Jimmy boy, there is a world of variety out there.

Jimmy knows best:roll::roll:
What are you on about?

I'm not claiming to have knowledge of Islam that others don't, I'm saying that I don't know what true Islam is, and neither do you, neither does mel, neither does the guitar playing subject of the thread, and neither do the hate preachers.

Their version of Islam is no more or no less valid than yours.

there is a world of variety out there.

duh, that's what I'm saying!

I'm sorry mel, but that is nonsense.

Just because this guy says it's distorted and that the hate preachers are not real holy men doesn't make it so.

What makes his interpretation of Islam more likely than the hate preachers?

No doubt they would say that his version of Islam is a distortion of the true meaning.

Who are you to arbitrarily decide which one is right?

As an aside I like very much what this dude is doing, playing guitar changed my life (although admittedly I wasn't very likely to become a religious extremist anyway) so maybe he can encourage some young people to turn their energies towards music, that can only be a good thing.

well, i've ALWAYS said extremist muslims have bastardised islam, changed it from what it was to back up an extreme version of itself for their own ends

well, i've ALWAYS said extremist muslims have bastardised islam, changed it from what it was to back up an extreme version of itself for their own ends

and what basis do you have for that? other than the fact that it would be nice if it were true?

I'm also bemused because in years past I posted a number of links to various muslim activists and campaigns who were up against various oppressive elements of their religious and cultural groups, and I got attacked for it by those who didn't seem to like the idea of progressive muslims, and one of the people who didn't like it was none other than melthebel.

really?

got a link? as i really dont remember that,

normally your rants start off about the oppression of women and start attacking islam as a whole for such oppression

and what basis do you have for that? other than the fact that it would be nice if it were true?

eh?

no idea if it is true, and its not based on anything other than my opinion and how ive seen extremist islam.......and looking at the guy in question it looks like im not alone

so instead of trying to push me into a cul de sac of whether my views right or wrong, DO YOU have an opinion on whether extreme islam is a distorted version?

I agree with Ruby here.

Mel, you've been around these parts long enough to know that when it comes to Sheffield Forum, these threads always end up traipsing down the same tired, old, predictably argumentative road.

If, as you say, all you've tried to do is demonstrate the positive side of Islam, it might be worth acknowledging that all you've probably done in reality is given the bigots, haters and trolls of the forum yet more space in which to proffer their xenophobic diatribe.

You'll not convince those who don't want to be convinced - no matter how well-intentioned you might be.

I agree with Ruby here.

Mel, you've been around these parts long enough to know that when it comes to Sheffield Forum, these threads always end up traipsing down the same tired, old, predictably argumentative road.

If, as you say, all you've tried to do is demonstrate the positive side of Islam, it might be worth acknowledging that all you've probably done in reality is given the bigots, haters and trolls of the forum yet more space in which to proffer their xenophobic diatribe.

You'll not convince those who don't want to be convinced - no matter how well-intentioned you might be.

i know

BUT

theres enough negatives on here, i believe there should be a positive now and again to redress the balance

and surprisingly (not) the last couple ive posted dissapeared without trace, cos nobody fancied facing the truth

edit - i also believe if we DONT post positives people only see the negatives and people slagging people off which aint good

Archived