Employment Tribunals - experiences/advice?

Does anyone have anyone have any experience of employment tribunals?

Specifically unfair dismissal/redundancy?

I have spoken to ACAS and received some excellent advice and hope to get to see the citizens advice bureau this week but can't really afford a solicitor.

I would just like to hear peoples experiences and what the outcomes where so I can get some idea of what to expect.

Thanks for any replies.

Going on a past exspierience dont be taken in by the advice acas give seek the advice of an employment soliciter first.

OK, I thought ACAS where the best place to go for employment advice. Although they don't advise on whether to go for a tribunal or if you have a case they have told me that procedures have not been followed correctly and I should take matters further. I was hoping the CAB would have someone experienced I could talk to but getting to see someone there is almost as difficult as getting an appointment with the prime minister!

do not fear the people on the tribunal,they will talk you through everything.just put your case and state the facts.i went to one i had put the wrong claim in,they allowed me to change it there and then,i have no legal training did not consult anyone they had a solicitor but the panel stopped him trying to put words in my mouth.i won the case and was awarded compensation.

Do you own a house and have insurance on it that includes legal fees. If so it may cover you to appoint a solicitor.

A free 30 minute appointment is a sales pitch with a solicitor. They say you may have a case and then down the line it somehow gets messy.

I took a government body to a tribunal. One solictor told me to take a frugal amount and I took the case off them myself and won. Don't be afraid to do it yourself, the tribunal board know your anxieties etc. But you need proof and it is very stressful. It takes a lot of guts especially if the company has money and it is word against word.

Good luck

I am going to check with my house insurance (when I dig out the papers) because I do recall having legal cover so that would be great.

I am quite nervous but feel I have a good case, trouble is my ex boss would argue black is white if she thinks she is right. She is really good at argueing and is very intimidating so I end up getting all flustered and upset and end up not saying what I want to. This is why I am in this situation because I wasn't able to defend myself properly.

The UK company itself doesn't have a lot of money but it is 50% owned by a much larger international company so I would imagine they would have to chip in if I won.

I wouldn't be putting myself through this if I didn't think I had a case as I am really poorly and also pregnant so the stress is not ideal!

Thanks for the advice and I'll see where it goes from here.

If you have legal cover you visit a solicitor that is on the insurers books. At the initial interview they will tell you if you have a case.

I was told I had a case, the solicitor took it so far and told me to accept what I thought was a low offer. So I took all my papers away from her to her surprise and told her I would do it myself. She claimed a lot of money from the insurance. Anyway, I did it myself until the final part and argued with the insurance I needed another solicitor because the other was rubbish. I can't disclose what I received but it was lot lot more.

BUTit made me so ill because it just eats you away and thats because you and only you know how unfair you have been treated. I think the average pay outs are only a few thousand pound and you have to ask if its worth it especially when you are having a baby.

If you have no joy with the insurance PM me and I could give you some points.

Make sure that you do something quick if you are going to do it as there are strict time limits for making claims for unfair dismissal etc.

Plus you will have needed to have gone through your ex-firms greivancy procedure (if they have one)....

Archived