How to charge a 12V battery with solar panels?

I have recently acquired 2 solar panels that both have

Nominal power (Wp) 10.00 W

Peak power (Wp) 10.00W +/- 5%

Open circuit Voltage (Voc) 21.7V

Max Power Voltage (Vmp) 17.3V

Short Circuit Current (lsc) 0.65amps

Max Power Current (lmp) 0.60amps

I have got a 12V battery that i want to be able to charge. If possible i would like to be able to run some power from this to maybe charge a laptop or run a small speaker.

I am a novice at this and any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for you help Paul...

Hi there,

It is a new battery, it actually not from a car its a big yellow thing, i dont have the specs of that on me but i will get them.

thanks for your response.

What you need is a direct current to direct current converter (DC/DC), say 14V to 25V input and 12V or 9V output to power a small amplifier, although the current drawn by most amps is dependant on the speaker and the volume setting.

I think you can couple the panels in parallel giving about 1.2 amp, but to charge a 12V battery you will need about 14.5V and ideally a circuit which reduces the current to prevent overcharging when it is fully charged. A point to bear in mind is that the panels' outputs could vary depending on the strength of the sun.

There should be plenty of converters on the market to suit your needs but I'm sure other posters will give you further advice.

You might have had better results if you had posted in the computer and tech-chat section.

Ah brilliant, thank you for that. Thats a great help. I will look into it further with the information you have given me.

I'll see what converter i can get my hands on....

Thanks again for the help really appreciate it.

Archived