What size engine for a inflatable.

I have bought a second hand Avon inflatable to use on my days off. Its around 10foot long and will be used with two people could anyone recommend what size outboard I should be looking for Im not looking for speed.

Cheers Mick.

Any size will move it along. You say you are not interested in speed. That's ok as long as you only ever use it in a lake/pond when there is no wind. The engine must be able to push the boat faster than a tide, current, river flow and be able to make ground in a head wind. So, it all depends where you will be using it.

If buying a second hand motor, go for one that has had only freshwater use (less corrosion).

Happy sailing :)

I have found some info that might be intresting to someone else.

Small Outboard Engines.

Please note that weight is very important when choosing an outboard. Some outboards of the same hp vary in weight and must be considered differently when applied to a watercraft.

2 hp - 4 hp (Less than 35lbs)

With the exception of Honda's 2 hp and Yamaha's New 2.5 hp 4 stroke outboard, most engines in this class are two stroke. These motors are perfect for almost every small boat. You can use them on inflatables, canoes, small sailboats, portable boats, and 8-12ft light weight jon boats. If the boat you are using is light enough for you to carry with one person and drafts about 2-4 inches these motors are ideal. Another attribute is that most have integral gas tanks so they are completely self-contained.

Performance.

Expect these engines to glide through the water at about 5-10 mph. Some of the 2 cylinder 3 and 4hp outboards made by OMC will almost plane a small inflatable or canoe with one person.

These engines will push a boat faster than trolling motors will.

As Kicker outboards we have had these engines move a 14ft fiberglass boat weighing about 600lbs at a nice trolling speed.

5 hp - 8 hp (From around 40lbs- 60lbs)

These are your workhorse mid-range portable light-weight outboard motors. These motors will plane out small inflatables, portable boats, canoes, and jon boats. These engines are nice because they are powerful and still light enough to transport with ease. These motors are perfect for many small to midsize sailboats and to use as kickers on boats less than 20ft. These motors are ideal for boats that weight around 50-250lbs, range from 8 to 14ft, and can be carried with two people or less.

Performance

You can expect to go about 10-18 mph with one person on a light boat.

Will work great for trolling, sailboats, and emergency back-ups

Sometimes motors of this class will perform differently when more than one person is aboard.

I have bought a second hand Avon inflatable to use on my days off. Its around 10foot long and will be used with two people could anyone recommend what size outboard I should be looking for Im not looking for speed.

Cheers Mick.

Bugatti Veyron engine no question! Admittedly 1000 BHP may be a little more than you're looking for but it can be de-tuned :D

Archived