What do people think of the NHS Summary Care Record

It's a goofy idea, not a good one :)

Currently your medical records are with your GP who keeps them confidential. This project is to upload everything into yet another central national database, destroying the doctor-patient confidentiality and instead relying on far more esoteric mechanisms to electronically restrict access.

The justification is "if I end up in A&E in another city then I want them to have access to my records", but it seems rather flawed because

* The A&E staff need to assess the thing that you're there for, not review your past history.

* If there's something I need the A&E staff to know then I'll wear a chain or bracelet. These are foolproof, whereas the electronic thing relies on (a) them identifying me and getting the correct record up, (b) the data being recorded and extremely obvious to A&E and © lots of bits of electronics working.

I think it's just another manifestation with Labour's obsession with central databases and outrageously expensive IT projects that ultimately fail.

Thanks garrence, I was thinking if they brought up the wrong record it could affect the way you are bring treated, given the wrong drugs etc. and yes i would want to be treated for what i am in for.

What are people's thoughts on the NHS Summary Care record that is coming soon? Is it a goof idea or not

Having talked to a few colleagues who worked on the project, I'll be phoning up soon and telling them not to create one for me.

already opted out, I have an SOS talisman bracelet with relevant info in it for a start

but if I'm taken ill in a different city and need a hospital then either I'll be unconscious in which case it will be emergency treatment and no one will have time for records or I won't be unconscious in which case I can tell them about any meds I'm on, plus they have to somehow find my personal records and I may have been separated from my ID so what then ?

the summary care record isn't necessary for most people, and something much simpler, cheaper and more effective like the SOS thing can be used for those that do need it

it's just empire building by ministers and civil servants who salivate at the thought of having every citizens personal data at their fingertips

Archived