General says Afghan war 'is a war on Islam'

"The former head of the British armed forces who recently retired and appointed as a defence advisor to Prime Minister David Cameron on Sunday confirmed that the war in Afghanistan is a war on Islam."

Story here.

I haven't had chance to look too closely as I am at work. Is he stating the obvious or did some people think there ever was a legitimate reason to invade Afghanistan?

"The former head of the British armed forces who recently retired and appointed as a defence advisor to Prime Minister David Cameron on Sunday confirmed that the war in Afghanistan is a war on Islam."

Story here.

I haven't had chance to look too closely as I am at work. Is he stating the obvious or did some people think there ever was a legitimate reason to invade Afghanistan?

Of course there is a legal reason for it,it is to root out the extremist faction of the religion ,you know the faction that all good muslims deny even exists.

Story here.

He said nothing of the sort, the quote given in that very biased article is:

There is an Islamist agenda which if we don’t oppose and face it off in southern Afghanistan, or Afghanistan, or in South Asia, then frankly that influence will grow. We could see it moving from South Asia to the Middle East to North Africa and to the high water mark of the Islamic caliphate in the 14th, 15th Century.

Fighting Islamism is very different to fighting Islam.

That the 'journalist' responsible went straight to Hizb ut-Tahrir to get a response to this cherry picked quote shows just how unreliable your source is.

Story here.

Ahh yes, because the Pakistani media isn't well known for conspiracy theories and stories that bear no relation to reality. I see this is a quote taken out of context on purpose to stir up yet more controversy. Hardly what you would call "journalism".

Another theory to divert attention away from the fact that the vast majority of problems facing Pakistan are self inflicted, it's far easier to blame someone else.

Good find but every Muslim knows about it and every Westerner is mislead about it.

which would put western Muslims in an awfully self contradictory, and logically impossible conundrum, but hey, don't let that stop you spouting off your meaningless soundbite.

Good find but every Muslim knows about it and every Westerner is mislead about it.

Yeah because every single Westerner thinks alike, not that you're racist or anything :roll:

Also KamalJoe why are you advertising a website offering students who wish to try and cheat and fraudulently acquire degrees "custom-written dissertations" in your sig:

"Learn about finance dissertations by UK based group now - More about dissertation help in UK"

Surely this can't be the kind of behaviour good moral upstanding Muslims encourage and presumably profit from can it?

It's worth being mindful of what the General is directly quoted as saying and what he's then paraphrased as saying. Hizb ut tahrir, who the spokesperson is from, are an extreme organization who would twist anything to their agenda. They're no better than the BNP in essence. They should be as mocked and hounded as the more traditional-looking fascists are.

The article seems to elide Islamism and Islam, which we're always told is wrong. Unless you're a far-right religious nutter, in which case any attack on Islamism is automatically taken to be an attack on Islam.

I did not support the wars that were fought in my name, and I saw through the dishonesty in the official excuses. But I also believe that what has been ideologically perpetrated on women and girls under Islamist rule is as evil as any other totalitarian oppression, and it's been disturbing over the years to see just how few people, muslims and many of those who purport to support human rights, are prepared to be as outraged about that as they are about their other causes. The Taliban are fascists and all fascism is wrong.

• 2 years later...

?

war on Islam , NOOOO , really?

we are spreading peace and freedom by invasions and drone bombing these half dozen countries or sumat.

Archived