What a waste of perfectly good food !! Pathetic H&S rules..

They can't sell it, it would be out of code.

ASDA etc. will order x lots of food with x/x-n date. They won't accept food with date x+1.

That said, there would be a market for such food, but it hasn't been capitalised upon.

We were talking about giving away though, not selling. But even giving it away makes them liable for any problem created.

We were talking about giving away though, not selling. But even giving it away makes them liable for any problem created.

If they were giving it away, managers were argue they making too much on purpose.

It will be classed as waste, and should be treat as waste. Ridiculous, but we do live in a loony society.

If they were giving it away, managers were argue they making too much on purpose.

It will be classed as waste, and should be treat as waste. Ridiculous, but we do live in a loony society.

Well, they do make too much on purpose, cos they purposely don't want empty shelves, even at 5 mins to closing time

I recently had a contract to bulk deliver pre packed sandwiches and salad/pasta boxes to wholesale food companies up and down the country. I was stunned when returning to the food factory to see three large plastic skips all full with hundreds of pre packed food that had reached the best before date. I asked what they did with them expecting that at the very least they would all go to a local pig farmer !! Nope.. All the lot are incinerated. You are not even allowed to take any out for your pets as a treat :huh: I cant see any problem in them donating them to places like the cathederal project or similar as its only a best before date and they are all sealed for freshness :loopy: Wasnt it the government harping on about saving food not so long ago ? Definately a case of H&S gone mental.

Would you eat sandwiches that were on their Best Before Date ? I know i would if they were free.. Waste not want not ... :rant:

no profit in giving it away...this has been going on for years....at all the big supermarkets....also the nhs throw loads away

Few years back my friend worked in a donut shop " Everday Fresh Donuts" so loads were thrown out at the end of the day, the homelss shelter and senior center close by wanted them but said they didn't have time to pick them up but wanted/insisted that they be delivered to them and at a certain time each evening, there loss ,they prefered to sit outside and smoke instead of fetching the "free" donuts.:roll:

In Sheffield city centre quite a few sandwich shops throw out the food at the end of the day. Homeless people who were sleeping rough were frequenting the bins to get these sandwiches.

The sandwich shops now rip open the plastic which kept the sandwiches fresh before throwing them into the bins. People still frequent the bins.

How pathetic is the action of ripping open the plastic before throwing the sandwiches! :(

Will you get the thread title changed to something nearer the truth? This is nothing to do with H&S but entirely down to the company policy of the organisation throwing the food away.

Neither the sell by or best before dates indicate that something might be inedible after that date. A use by date though does.

I wonder if the OP was being completely accurate when they said best before, and if it wasn't use by? Giving away potentially spoiled food (if it was the use by) would open the company to potential legal action. Giving away something past it's sell by or best before date wouldn't carry the same risk though. (IANAL)

I'm sure homeless people would be willing to sign a waiver rather than go hungry... damn, I'd even eat the food that gets wasted just because it's got todays date on it, give it to me, I'll sign the bloody thing!

Waivers aren't generally worth the paper they're written on.

It is crazy, restaurants throw food out all the time, if they reduced it to half price 10 mins before it had to be chucked then people would buy it.

I recently had a contract to bulk deliver pre packed sandwiches and salad/pasta boxes to wholesale food companies up and down the country. I was stunned when returning to the food factory to see three large plastic skips all full with hundreds of pre packed food that had reached the best before date. I asked what they did with them expecting that at the very least they would all go to a local pig farmer !! Nope.. All the lot are incinerated. You are not even allowed to take any out for your pets as a treat :huh: I cant see any problem in them donating them to places like the cathederal project or similar as its only a best before date and they are all sealed for freshness :loopy: Wasnt it the government harping on about saving food not so long ago ? Definately a case of H&S gone mental.

Would you eat sandwiches that were on their Best Before Date ? I know i would if they were free.. Waste not want not ... :rant:

Fairshare ... sorry ive not read the whole of this thread so no doubt someone else has already suggested this?? they used to provide food to a homeless scheme i used to work at x

Archived