Ground Zero Mosque to be built on 10th anniversary of WTC attacks

I can understand the reasonable portion of the muslim community wanting to show solidarity with those they see as fellow Americans. The extremists hate westernised muslims as much as non-muslims. It's right for the reasonable set to want to do something to publicly distance themselves from Islamist murderers, and western muslims were among the dead too. But unfortunately this looks ambiguous.

I'm reminded of the giant cross that was erected on the mountain overlooking the destroyed Mostar Bridge in B&H, which was insensitive to say the least, and even if it had been put there as a conciliatory gesture (though I don't know the motive), was misguided. I think there was also a huge cross erected at Auschwitz, even at a time when the museum itself was still reluctant to acknowledge the largest victim group as 'Jews'. Even if symbolic acts are well meant they can sometimes be read the other way.

It's a pity, because I can well imagine New York muslims wanting to say 'we're with you, not them'.

Is the mosque being built by terrorists or by ordinary Muslims? Or is it that in your hysterical dramatics you are calling all Muslim terrorists?

Even though it's two blocks away but hey they are Muslims therefore no place for Muslims praying and breathing the same air as the screaming Islamophobes is it?

Hysterical dramatics? You surpass yourself.

Is the mosque being built by terrorists or by ordinary Muslims? Or is it that in your hysterical dramatics you are calling all Muslim terrorists?

Even though it's two blocks away but hey they are Muslims therefore no place for Muslims praying and breathing the same air as the screaming Islamophobes is it?

If Christian Dominist Terrorists destroyed some famous landmark in a majority Muslim city (killing thousands of people) & then another group of Christians came a long along wanting to build a massive church overlooking the site of the attack. Deliberately choosing the anniversary of the attack to start work don't you think that might cause a little trouble?

Even a idiot like you should be able to understand the revulsion felt by family's of the victims of 911,and you have the nerve to preach about moderate muslims..you don't know the meaning of the word ,but by all means keep it up tabby you seem intent these days of showing the rest of the forum your true colours...Apologies its tabby's nasty Yanks again.

I can understand the reasonable portion of the muslim community wanting to show solidarity with those they see as fellow Americans. The extremists hate westernised muslims as much as non-muslims. It's right for the reasonable set to want to do something to publicly distance themselves from Islamist murderers, and western muslims were among the dead too. But unfortunately this looks ambiguous.

I'm reminded of the giant cross that was erected on the mountain overlooking the destroyed Mostar Bridge in B&H, which was insensitive to say the least, and even if it had been put there as a conciliatory gesture (though I don't know the motive), was misguided. I think there was also a huge cross erected at Auschwitz, even at a time when the museum itself was still reluctant to acknowledge the largest victim group as 'Jews'. Even if symbolic acts are well meant they can sometimes be read the other way.

It's a pity, because I can well imagine New York muslims wanting to say 'we're with you, not them'.

The sheer size of this project is a major of the problem.

If muslims funded some kind of small garden, memorial or some such thing where Muslims of better people of all faiths & none could go to mark their condemnation of the 9/11 attacks I doubt that would attract anything like the condemnation this is getting.

A giant $100m mosque however has all kinds of unpleasant connotations not of condemning the attack but of triumphalism, trying to take possession of the site & so forth in the same way the giant crosses you mention do.

True, there's no place for them, and rightly so.

Even though it's two blocks away, it seems insensitive to say the least.

WOW,,,,,,,:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:.

Now thats what I call a rant.:rant::rant::rant::rant:.

better still let them build it on a little island off cuba...and they can stay there for free...
If they live in New York they should build a place of worship in Cuba? What is this, Muslim haters United?:suspect:

Apparently part of the building is used as a mosque already, and whilst the location may be ill conceived for a 'mega mosque', it would appear Feisal Abdul Rauf is genuine in his desire to unite the different religious and racial groups in New York

Imam Feisal is also the architect of the Cordoba Initiative, an inter-religious blueprint for improving relations between the Muslim world and West & America. As a tireless advocate for an ecumenical solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, he has impressed his vision on US lawmakers and administration officials, most recently as member of the National Inter-religious Initiative For Peace in Washington DC.

http://www.asmasociety.org/about/b_rauf.html

Another Imam at the Islamic Cultural Center, is forging positive links with the city's Jews and receiving praise for it:

"New York's largest mosque, the Islamic Cultural Center (ICC) on East 96th Street in Manhattan, is getting applause from an unexpected quarter -- the city's influential Jewish community."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1319001520080516

It's also worth pointing out that it remains a proposal since they dont have the £68 million required to build it.

This from the penultimate paragraph of the Mail article:

"A community board backed the project last week, but organisers are still seeking funding"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278922/Plans-mosque-Ground-Zero.html#ixzz0oCZyGT67

"

Archived