Ground Zero Mosque to be built on 10th anniversary of WTC attacks

Don't be so stupid man. There are churches in Pakistan and are used by the community of Christians. The Muslims of New York want a Mosque at the place where there is a building already partly used as a Mosque. Mecca doesn't have a Christian community so your suggestion is a bit thick to sau the least. The invasion of Afghanistan is regarded as Christian terrorism by many who have lost family members in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Granted, churches exist in Pakistan, however, building new ones is a totally different kettle of fish, Christians there are discriminated against.

Mecca doesn't have a Christian community as Christians are banned from entering Mecca in the first place. There is not a single church in Saudi and they are not allowed to be built.

My suggestion? :loopy::hihi: I was laughing at Plek's suggestion of a church being built in Islamabad or Mecca. When it wouldn't be allowed in the first place! I think that is blatantly obvious.

You are still not answering the question though. Your reasoning seems to be something to do with someone else’s opinion on a completely unrelated matter.

Why are you unable to answer the question? It’s very simple and not designed to catch you out.

Because your questions are oh ever so difficult to answer I worry about incriminating myself and all that. Here is your post again now where is the killer question?

Tab1, can you not see that building a large mosque on ground zero is going to upset a lot of people who lost loved ones in the attack? It's not actually at Ground Zero, it's two blocks away

Why is it that everything vaguely islamic is OK in your book and anyone who dares to question anything associated with Islam an islamaphobe. Why can you not stand up for common sense? Why does Islam come first in your mind over and above other peoples opinions on every occasion? I am a Muslim and proud of it and anybody attacking my religion out of prejudice and ignorance I feel I have to challenge. If you wish Muslims to lie down and play dead so that you can make your inaccurate statements about them is not going to happen.. That to me is common sense isn't it to you? Other people's opinions are just that opinions and mine is also an opinion and I air it as others do theirs, so get used to it

It's not being considered for the actual site of the Twin Towers, it's two blocks away, ironically a Mosque already exists in place but they simply wish to replace it.

...And that building, two blocks away, is within the area that was affected by the exploding planes and building collapses. It's not the focal point but it's within the original disaster zone.

This is a strange one and having only seen the one associated newspaper report (and not having heard anything about it previously) it is difficult to develop a definite opinion.

I have no idea of the nature of the people involved in this construction, I have little idea about attitudes towards Muslims in New York. Could it possibly be that resident NYers are actually more or less at peace with this (the quote from the FBI bloke seemed to suggest some degree of small solidarity)?

Is it a sincere move by a moderate group to try and emphasise their involvement in the rebirth of Manhattan (the antithesis of those that sought to destroy)? Or is it something less noble? I suspect the former, though I can understand why it may appear to be the latter.

Also, this strikes me as a very unusual place for your bog-standard community centre/place of minority worship. Rates and rents will be astronomical, few Muslims live in the area. This makes me wonder whether very rich people are behind it - perhaps from the extensive Middle-Eastern business community. These people more than most may feel they can benefit from displaying solidarity with the heart of US capitalism - perhaps creating a space for lobbying, hosting clients etc..?

I am guessing that this is something concieved of by people who have perhaps misjudged their plans. I doubt it is intended as a slur (quite possibly it is supposed to be the opposite), but I think the hysteria is possibly understandable.

I think the 'Muslim' -> 'terrorist' association is unfortunate, many religious, ethnic, national (and other) groups have spawned a small section of violent followers: Basques, Irish, Catholics, Tamils, left-wingers, right-wingers, Muslims, Hindus etc...

Over the top outrage is not a helpful reaction, neither sweeping statments as a result of one potential incident of which we know essentially nothing. It will be interesting to see how this develops, but I don't think we should be imagining it as a huge, globally significant religious-political provocation.

Granted, churches exist in Pakistan, however, building new ones is a totally different kettle of fish, Christians there are discriminated against.

Mecca doesn't have a Christian community as Christians are banned from entering Mecca in the first place. There is not a single church in Saudi and they are not allowed to be built.

My suggestion? :loopy::hihi: I was laughing at Plek's suggestion of a church being built in Islamabad or Mecca. When it wouldn't be allowed in the first place! I think that is blatantly obvious.

There are anomalies all over such as in Spain in the ex Mosque in Cordoba a Muslim friend was stopped from praying and threatened with arrest because the place wasn't regarded a mosque any more.That may well be the case but the prayer he was offering is not that has to be performed in a Mosque but can be anywhere. He was there as a tourist to see these historical sites. So does that mean a reflection on Christians of Spain or the Spanish Government or was it just this officer making up his own rules? You can't start comparing situations from across the world and treat all Muslims as a single entity. The guys in NY may have nothing to do with Saudi Arabia or Pakistan, they may even by black Muslims of African descent then what?

...And that building, two blocks away, is within the area that was affected by the exploding planes and building collapses. It's not the focal point but it's within the original disaster zone.

I understand a Mosque is in place already there so how does a group of people offering prayer offensive to you or anyone? Unless you consider them to be guilty by association or committing the crime of being Muslim with intent.

This is a strange one and having only seen the one associated newspaper report (and not having heard anything about it previously) it is difficult to develop a definite opinion.

I have no idea of the nature of the people involved in this construction, I have little idea about attitudes towards Muslims in New York. Could it possibly be that resident NYers are actually more or less at peace with this (the quote from the FBI bloke seemed to suggest some degree of small solidarity)?

Is it a sincere move by a moderate group to try and emphasise their involvement in the rebirth of Manhattan (the antithesis of those that sought to destroy)? Or is it something less noble? I suspect the former, though I can understand why it may appear to be the latter.

Also, this strikes me as a very unusual place for your bog-standard community centre/place of minority worship. Rates and rents will be astronomical, few Muslims live in the area. This makes me wonder whether very rich people are behind it - perhaps from the extensive Middle-Eastern business community. These people more than most may feel they can benefit from displaying solidarity with the heart of US capitalism - perhaps creating a space for lobbying, hosting clients etc..?

I am guessing that this is something concieved of by people who have perhaps misjudged their plans. I doubt it is intended as a slur (quite possibly it is supposed to be the opposite), but I think the hysteria is possibly understandable.

I think the 'Muslim' -> 'terrorist' association is unfortunate, many religious, ethnic, national (and other) groups have spawned a small section of violent followers: Basques, Irish, Catholics, Tamils, left-wingers, right-wingers, Muslims, Hindus etc...

Over the top outrage is not a helpful reaction, neither sweeping statments as a result of one potential incident of which we know essentially nothing. It will be interesting to see how this develops, but I don't think we should be imagining it as a huge, globally significant religious-political provocation.

Good post.

Well said.

If they live in New York they should build a place of worship in Cuba? What is this, Muslim haters United?:suspect:

The problem is muslims give us so many reasons to hate them but you give us so many opportunities to laugh at your backward religion.

Keep up the good work fella;)

You didn't answer my question, if Christian Dominists crashed airliners into major landmarks in say Islamabad or Mecca and then some completely unconnected moderate Christian group attempted to build giant churches overlooking the sites of those attacks do you think the attempts to build those Churches would cause trouble?

Don't you think that even many/most of those inhabitants of Islamabad & Mecca "able to make the distinction between christians and terrorists" might object to giant churches overlooking the sites of those attacks?

there would be more than justr opposition, there would be bombings left right and centre before the foundations were even laid.

Archived