Water supply- advice needed

This is a bit long winded, so will try to keep it as short as possible.

I have lived in my property for 2 years and have had drainage problems. 2 months after I moved in, my toilet backed up, and the council had to send a plumber to dela with it. They told me it was due to me being in a ground floor and the 2 flats above mines waste goes through mine (sounds weird I know), so when it backs up it affects mine first. My neighbour directly above me had the same problem previously.

Ever since then we have had sporadic smelly bathrooms, with the usual bad drain "eggy" smell..

Over the past 6 months or so, me and my partner have suffered several stomach upsets, as has my neighbour (who is disabled), and her partner. We have noticed that our tap water has a horrible white discoloration to it. It leaves residue on pots and never runs clear. We stopped drinking the tap water some time ago, opting for bottled as we were worried. I did some online research and saw that apparently the water may contain too much calcium.

Last week my neighbour called the water board, who sent someone out to collect a sample. They apparently told her they would have the results out the next day, but she heard nothing. They told her it could be a waste pipe leak or similar..

Cut to 3 days later and someone turns up and starts digging up around the man hole where the pipes are. I was out at this point, but my neighbour rang me tell me. She had asked them what they were doing and they said that there was a mains leak and they had to attend to it. We have seen or heard nothing of a leak. By the time I got back, the workmen had gone, leaving an exposed pipe with the orange plastic bollard fence thing around the hole.

At lunchtime today, they turn back up and pull their van onto the grass and start throwing sweeping brushes etc off- right next to my hung out washing. (Thats another story). I opened the door and asked them what the work was for- as we had no idea what. The young guy told me they were back filling it. I answered I knew this, but what was the original problem with the water pipes? He said there was no problem, he was back filling it. He had a grin on his face and was shaking his head to his workmate. He just kept repeating he was backfilling it and playing dumb.

I went back inside and called my neighbour, to update her and she informs me she has just had a call from the water board to tell her there is nothing wrong with the water. No mention of the works outside.

Can anyone advise- as this seems dodgy to me....

I have no idea which part of the water board to call, and find out what the disruption right outside my kitchen window is

If the council dealt with your first blockage try phoning them. Alternatively as the water board will have a switchboard just ring them or customer services, explain your problem and they should connect you to the correct department.

• 4 weeks later...

Your water supply has absolutley nothing to do with your drains, unless they are situated close together outside and both have crack, penetrating your water supply (highly unlikley).

I have white tap water at my house, do you have a combination boiler? the white colour is air bubbles if you have a combi, nothing to worry about. run the water a while or leave a glass of water standing and eventually you see the white disappear.

Try some punktuation and someone might read it.

If that is all you can give as an input to what seems to be a problem, then not sure you should have bothered.

Spelling and Grammer is not the be all and the end of all. So back off

Archived