Why are whites five times richer than blacks?

In Freakonomics, the raw data suggested that it wasn't just money that was the deciding factor, but how many books were in the household the child grew up in. Poorer kids who grow up around books still have a head start just in terms of a sense of potential and interest in learning

I seem to remember that it didn't even matter whether the books had been read or not, but it was merely the fact they were present was the factor which made the difference.

"It is widely accepted" By whome?

The gap is 17, you must have missed it, it is 5 between whites and asians though.

Do you have a source other than wikipedia? Wiki is good for non controversial things, but I wouldn't trust it for an issue like this.

"Perhaps the most controversial area of study of racial and ethnic differences has been in intellectual performance. Many African-American and Native-American children score, on average, twelve to fifteen points lower than their European-American peers on standardized IQ tests."

http://social.jrank.org/pages/529/Racial-Differences-Standardized-Tests-Race.html

The 15 point difference can make a truely massive difference in life.

I play poker for instance and figure my odds against other players to be about 105% to 107% on average.

This difference means I make 300 per night (2 to 4 hours play) in a small local game.

Compared to 50 years ago the percentage of blacks who have moved up into the middle class has risen signiifcantly but there remains the hard core poor who live in the inner cities in housing projects. Without a doubt they're caught in a continuous cycle of single parent households, second rate schools and the gang culture.

Family dysfuctionality has everything to do with it. Many blacks who have managed by their efforts to achieve success have recognized this and some including the well known black actor and comedian Bill Cosby addressed this issue a few years back

Judging by the outraged response of people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton it seemed like Bill Cosby had uttered the greatest blasphemy imaginable. Cosby was really verbally crucified for having the gall to suggest that much of the problems of blacks were due to the breakdown of family structures and values

Archived