Oil/coolant problem with Rover 211..

OK, I'd just like some advice on what exactly could be the problem with my 1998 Rover 211:

Before the weekend, I noticed that the coolant level had dropped markedly since I last checked (below the minimum but still some in expansion tank). I topped it up to max and looked at the dipstick, which was about at 2/3. I then drove a couple of hundred miles over the weekend and checked again, and the coolant had dropped to minimum again. I topped up coolant again and took the oil filler cap off this time, and looked in the (rocker tank? cover? head cover? - i.e. the top of the engine where you put the oil in), and the oil appears to be pooling in there, a few cms below the filler cap. It looked black, and I did not notice any scum on the surface. After driving up and down Crookes hill last night, I had another look and the oil was the same, but the coolant had slightly frothed and was a little lower again. I haven't noticed any water patches below the car, but will look again today.

So basically, if I topped the oil up, it would just sit at the top of the engine (perhaps?) and the coolant seems to be going somewhere (but I haven't noticed any obvious leak - not being a mechanic I haven't specifically 'checked' the cooling system for leaks). Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be?

Thanks in advance,

It sounds like the coolant might be going in the engine as the oil floats on top of the water, have you noticed the car getting very hot? one other test, take the coolant expansion cap off, start the engine and see if you get bubbles in the header tank, if you do its either leaking (doubtful as no water on the floor) or your head gasket has gone.

It sounds like the coolant might be going in the engine as the oil floats on top of the water, have you noticed the car getting very hot? one other test, take the coolant expansion cap off, start the engine and see if you get bubbles in the header tank, if you do its either leaking (doubtful as no water on the floor) or your head gasket has gone.

The engine smells like some part of it is getting hotter than usual. However, the engine temperature sensor never gets above half way, let alone anywhere near the red.

From your symptoms it sounds like the head gasket I'm afraid,Its a common problem on older rovers they were prone for it.

On reading your op again is it possibly the oil pump?

A gas sniff test will rule out the head gasket.

I had the same problem on my Rover 400 last month.

I cured it by adding some addative to clean the water system.

................Air lock.................

I left it in for 2 days ,flushed it out and refilled with coolent.... Job done :)

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the head gasket. Are there any white spots on the oil filler cap?

It’s a shame because apart from the head gasket issues they are pretty reliable little cars- they don't deserve the bad name they have been tarred with.

How much is the car worth and do you know anyone handy with car mechanics- this could be an uneconomical repair if you take it to a garage...

As soon as I saw the thread title I was going to suggest the dreaded Rover Head Gasket Failure.

We had a Rover which had HGF, my OH kept putting water in it, no obvious wet patches under the car, the water was going into the oil. Check for gunk under the oil filler cap, it looks like mayonnaise.

Our Rover ended up with orange foamy gunk instead of oil.

jrowl - What's a gas sniff test?

Well I've since had a look under the car again and once more can't see any leaks. I've also nipped the car to a couple of garages for a professional opinion.

- One of them concluded that the head gasket was beginning to go.

- The other said don't jump to the 'head gasket failure' conclusion too quickly. He said that as the oil is not emulsifying (and consequently frothing), but is pooling in the head cover, possibly carbon has built up in the engine, preventing efficient draining of the oil back into the lower sump. Also, to stop topping up the coolant and see if it stabilises at a lower level, as there may be a small leak in the coolant system; would be more worthwhile putting a high quality 'rad weld' type product in to see if the coolant level stabilises.

A head gasket repair would be rather uneconomical, given that the car is 1998 (although only 64k) and so is probably worth about £400. The two chaps I spoke to said a head gasket would set me back £350-450.

Archived