CT scan, scared

One of the things that you could do in the interim between now and your appointment (assuming you've got a couple of weeks before your appointment comes up) would be to get a really good relaxation tape and get into practice listening to it and going through the process of relaxing yourself.

Until a couple of years ago I had 2 MRIs a year, which took upwards of an hour each and for which I had to be in the machine head first and squashed uncomfortably against the inside of the machine to image my shoulder and neck.

The first time I fell asleep in the scanner the radiographer thought I was a little strange, but they got used to me over the years. I was lucky enough to have a relaxation tape made for me with my own music and triggers on and if you play it enough and go through the relaxation steps then you can play it in your own head without needing the headphones. I haven't played the tape in years, but I still use my internal soundtrack for it every time I have a scan, blood test or anything else which brings on a panic.

I know that I'm not starting off with a true phobia, but it's got to be worth a try, hasn't it?

Hi all, ive got to have a Ct scan soon, and im terrified, im quite claustrophobic and dont think im going to be able to lay still without feeling panicky, any suggestions? :(

Close your eye's. Worked for me, I fell asleep.

I have now had 6 MRI scans and have to be put in feet first ... one Nurse tried to get me in head first and I got halfway and couldn't breathe and utterly panicked.

The only Hospital that I have had issues with is Claremont ... didn't have much patience with me and decided they couldn't use the pillow thing they put under your legs to support your legs as I insisted on going in feet first, so they used a towel instead, and this buggered my back up for the next few days.

I am awfully claustraphobic and totally understand your worry ... Your Doctor will prescribe you something to take to sedate you a little, though you will have to have someone with you to drive you home afterwards.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just an update, had my scan last week, i didnt get anything from my gp to calm me, i went in, they explained it all to me, i went in feet first, my head didnt actually go under, but i closed my eyes all the way through it, it lasted about 5mins in all, there was a whirring sound, but not too loud, they told me i may need an injection if the scan wasnt clear enough to get results, but luckily it was, so all in all, it wasnt too bad, just a bit uncomfy in the way you have to lay with your arms above your head. I get my results on friday.

Thats what worries me aswell, the noise, would i be able to listen to my mp3 do you think? :D

they pipe music in for you over the head phones so you should be ok

i had one a few weeks back when i had the stroke and was ok for a while but it was very close to my face ,as a young lad i was trapped down the pit and it all came back to me but i managed to hold out for the few minutes the scan took

Hey just an update, had my scan last week, i didnt get anything from my gp to calm me, i went in, they explained it all to me, i went in feet first, my head didnt actually go under, but i closed my eyes all the way through it, it lasted about 5mins in all, there was a whirring sound, but not too loud, they told me i may need an injection if the scan wasnt clear enough to get results, but luckily it was, so all in all, it wasnt too bad, just a bit uncomfy in the way you have to lay with your arms above your head. I get my results on friday.

Well done, i bet u feel well proud of yr self, good luck with the results on friday :)

Archived