Dad.. Memories.

Losing your dad is like walking down the road and being punched in the face for no reason. It hurts. Like Hell.

The good bits of your dad never die or go away. They're with you.

You're absolutely spot on there spindrift.

My Dad died of Alzheimers nearly four years ago and I think about him every day, I've some great memories.

Verse 1:

Back when I was a child

Before life removed all the innocence

My father would lift me high

And dance with my mother and me and then

Spend me around till I fell asleep

Then up the stairs he would carry me

And I knew for sure I was loved

If I could get another chance

Another walk, another dance with him

I'd play a song that would never ever end

How I'd love love love to dance with my father again

When I and my mother would disagree

To get my way I would run from her to him

He'd make me laugh just to comfort me

Then finally make me do just what my mother said

Later that night, when I was asleep

He left a pound under my sheet

Never dreamed that he would be gone from me

If I could steal

One final glance

One final step

One final dance with him

I'd play a song that would never ever end

Cause I'd love love love to dance with my father again

Sometimes I'd listen outside her door

I'd hear how my mother cried for him

I'd pray for her even more than me

I know I'm praying for much too much

But could you send back the only man she loved

I know you don't do it usually

But dear Lord she' s dying to dance with my father again

Every night I fall asleep

And this is all I ever dream

luther van dross dance with my father again,i wish i could this fathers day.

This thread has almost brought tears to my eyes - my Dad's in his late 70s and fighting cancer, and I dread THE day coming, just because I'm almost 40, but I'm still his little girl and he's still my big brave Dad.

I've always been a Daddys girl - I adore my Mum, but theres just that little extra something with my Dad.

Theres a strong bond between father and daughter isnt there ?

My dad was never bothered about us when he was alive so I was never going to mourn his passing(1984) - harsh but true. Now my mum......that is a completely different story

I have children I may never see. I would love to. Always bought them birthday cards and christmas cards - but no-where to send them to. I hope they learn one day that I do care.

Sometimes being a dad is not easy...

I have children I may never see. I would love to. Always bought them birthday cards and christmas cards - but no-where to send them to. I hope they learn one day that I do care.

Sometimes being a dad is not easy...

This post is so sad.:)

He lived to be 92 but was always young at heart and still took the bus out to the countryside for a walk almost up to the time he suddenly died. He was proud of his service as a soldier in the war and at the moment of his death was watching the memorial day parade in London on November 11th.

One of the things that plagued my dad right up to his death that he would not live to the ages of his father or grandfather. His grandad was 96 and his dad was 89. Dad was only 62. He once said it made him feel like he was letting the family name down. It was such a massive ambition to him.

My father was dying of lung cancer which had robbed him of his voice. In hospital he wrote me a note which said " You look beautiful" That was the last time I saw him alive.

What a nice last memory for you.

Similar thing, we were told early November 2008 nothing more could be done to help my dad he had CLL. (Leukemia) A few weeks later he was fine on the Saturday, pottering in the garden etc, by the sunday morning he had deteriorated rapidly. I stayed with him on the Sunday night in hospital. He had started to have moments of complete clarity and then once of sheer panic and confusion. His nurse Lindsay (fantastic woman along with anyone else on Ward 24 at BDGH) said she felt it was the beginning of the end and we ought to call any family whom he would want there.

While mum went to do this I sat with him. He sat up in bed, pulled his oxygen mask off and said "Ahh bairn how could anyone not love you"

He lived another 36 hours but it was one of the last clear and coherant things he said. I stayed with him to the end I am so pleased I did.

For months after he died I dreamt about it over and over again.

Archived