So will the tories repeal the Human Rights Act?

Home Secretary Theresa May wants to scrap the Human Rights Act. At last some are beginning to see sense in government. :clap:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8801651/Home-Secretary-scrap-the-Human-Rights-Act.html

This is just tory conference fodder to get the right wing loonies overexcited, an attempt to repeal it in this parliament will end the coalition and government and even if a future government was to try then people will still have recourse to the european court of human rights. Also, most of the european convention was based on rights which british people have always had and now they know about them they will be more assetive about enforcing them and so nothing will change.

This is just tory conference fodder to get the right wing loonies overexcited, an attempt to repeal it in this parliament will end the coalition and government and even if a future government was to try then people will still have recourse to the european court of human rights. Also, most of the european convention was based on rights which british people have always had and now they know about them they will be more assetive about enforcing them and so nothing will change.

I know it a party conference crowd pleaser, but still it's a start if the Home Secretary is minded to scrap it. I'd like to see them have the balls to call an EU referendum.

I know it a party conference crowd pleaser, but still it's a start if the Home Secretary is minded to scrap it. I'd like to see them have the balls to call an EU referendum.

They wont and quite rightly so, the right wing press has and will poison any chance of a reasonable debate.

Our future is as part of Europe, we should be going out in force into the EU, taking full advantage of the single market and fighting to extend it's scope. If there are things which fall outside the confines of a growing vibrant single market then they can be looked at and if necessary amended.

The Empire has gone, the Commonwealth can and will out trade us, the only other alternative left to us will be as a client state of the US.

Hague and Cameron both know this and have said as much today.

They wont and quite rightly so, the right wing press has and will poison any chance of a reasonable debate.

Our future is as part of Europe, we should be going out in force into the EU, taking full advantage of the single market and fighting to extend it's scope. If there are things which fall outside the confines of a growing vibrant single market then they can be looked at and if necessary amended.

The Empire has gone, the Commonwealth can and will out trade us, the only other alternative left to us will be as a client state of the US.

Hague and Cameron both know this and have said as much today.

You mean the right wing press would take part in a reasonable debate but you won't agree with what they say so you don't want them having a say at all.

So will the tories repeal the Human Rights Act? No, a political party has no competence to make or change law.

That's the function of Parliament, subject to Royal Assent.

But I hope that the odious HRA is repealed. The concept of human 'rights' is anathema to UK law which instead focusses on human obligations/duties. British subjects of the Crown have 100% 'right' to do anything that we please, except what the law prohibits.

Archived