So will the tories repeal the Human Rights Act?

It won't happen while they are in coalition with the LDs.

It won't happen full stop. If people have to ask themselves why they shouldn't be really discussing the topic, the same goes for EU membership.

It won't happen full stop. If people have to ask themselves why they shouldn't be really discussing the topic, the same goes for EU membership.

i see that peodo in franklin...had his human rights revoked......

if we cannot deport terrorists and criminals....why not throw them in a container and ship them to syria....kind of exports without the imports...

i see that peodo in franklin...had his human rights revoked......

if we cannot deport terrorists and criminals....why not throw them in a container and ship them to syria....kind of exports without the imports...

Er, when trying to argue the the human rights act is not necessary that's kind of the wrong sort of logic to use. :loopy::loopy::loopy:

The Human Rights Act is too easily abused and the Conservatives-in their manifesto, promised to replace it with a "British Bill of Rights" that would still protect fundamental liberties but would be harder to use inappropriately.

But it seems the plan may be put on the back-burner, aparently a "victim of the coalition" with the Libdems :roll:

How long before the inevitable disquiet from Tory backbenchers when another equaly inevitable example of the HRA being abused arises?

They'll do it when they win an overall majority after the next election...Hopefully...:D

It won't happen at all, no matter who is in power. It would be illegal for a Government to revoke the Act, so it is permanent and irrevocable.

There is no such thing as a law which cannot be repealed by Parliament. [The Queen in] Parliament is the Sovereign lawmaker in the United Kingdom and can make or repeal any law it chooses.

There is no such thing as a law which cannot be repealed by Parliament. [The Queen in] Parliament is the Sovereign lawmaker in the United Kingdom and can make or repeal any law it chooses.

I agree. Please remember: there is NO SUCH THING as 'international law'. Say it again!

...But I hope that the odious HRA is repealed. The concept of human 'rights' is anathema to UK law which instead focusses on human obligations/duties ...

How strange. The UK proposed the creation of the European Convention of Human Rights at the end of the second world war – largely at the suggestion of Winston Churchill. The Council was guided by British MP and lawyer Sir David Maxwell-Fyfe, the Chair of the Assembly's Committee on Legal and Administrative Questions.

The UK signed up on 3 September 1953.

I don't think they can since the UK is in Europe and the HR Act is a European legislation.

Wrong.

The UK could exit from any European treaties and obligations that it has if it so wished.

Right.

No. The Act being discussed isn't.

Right.

Say it again: there is NO SUCH THING as 'international law'.

Archived