THOSE propaganda facebook status updates!!

Oh, do stop confusing the issue with facts! :rant:

Won't anybody think of the poor pitchfork-waving, I'm white, I'm male, I'm British therefore I'm oppressed pillocks.:hihi:

Well I intend to turn the Union flag into a bra for me man-boobs and the Jamaican one into a thong for down below-it's a flag that's well hung apparently :hihi:

Just had a reply. I have to post it because it's a classic!

Really? It's not true? Oh ok but the way things is going I can believe it. Like Birmingham not having Xmas celebrations in case it offends.

I really am embarrassed this person is a friend. Time to change my number I think!

Trust me, it's sexual. They are the kind of people who get into bed on a first date and shout "WHIP ME! HUMILIATE ME!!!".

They get a thrill out of fantasising they are persecuted and abused and punished, but they aren't, really :confused:

I agree, some people seemed to be thrilled when they are outraged. I've been calling a form of psychological sadomasochism for a while.

I really am embarrassed this person is a friend. Time to change my number I think!

Oh Lordy, your friend falls into the 'I want to believe' category.

If they are so gullible could I have their number please? I have a consignment of Snake Oil I need to get rid of :D

Just been reading the Daily Star (I know people will judge me for that, but I only buy it because its only 20p and newspapers last me about 3 minutes if that, I'm not paying 45p for one!) and the letters page has several people writing in outraged by this supposed ban on England Shirts.

Maybe people don't have the intelliegence to realise its propaganda, or maybe they just believe what they want to believe?

Thanks for that, I thought I might be the only person who knew people who responded like that. :)

My brother once sent me a link to a website that was banging on about there being 30 million immigrants claiming welfare in America. My liberal ire was ready to boil over 'til I realised who the immigrants to America were.

Any evidence for this, or that it is any different from lots of pubs that already don't allow ANY football shirts?

Oddly enough, one of my FB friends who is going for this stuff is a publican in Essex whose pub has a strict No Chavwear door policy. Some people clearly think they can have it both ways with this stuff.

"I want to know how this “Police are going round clubs” meme got stated. Maybe it is just made up but I would like to think that it is based on a real event that went a little bit like this:

Morons were in the town centre driving up and down flying their England flags from their cars, drinking, hooting their horns, shouting and generally being boorish. As the afternoon wears on the boorishness becomes genuine intimidating behaviour as they shout abuse at the local Asians.

Finally somebody calls the police and the morons head off to the pub. The police visit them at the pub. Unable to prove anything specific against anybody in particular the police give them all a good telling off for making a nuisance of themselves and warn them about drunk driving. Of course, the morons back down and promise to behave themselves so the police leave.

The morons are affronted by this and whinge about it while trying to spin events in a way that makes them sound like the innocent party and the whole thing provoked by nothing more than PCGM. One moron posts an incoherent rant on Facebook and off we go."

http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/2010/05/24/yeah-but-no-but-yeah/

I've just had an interesting argument with my friend who 'met' someone last night in the pub who had 'been fined £30 for wearing an England shirt'.

Not wanting to let it go, I asked him what law the guy had been fined for, he said 'well actually, he was fined because he kicked off once he was told there was a crackdown on England shirts and swore at the police officer'.

He then got very indignant when I said there is no law against wearing England shirts and asked me if I was accusing 2 (random strangers) of lying. I asked him where the second person came from. 'Well there were two people - one wearing the shirt, and one kicking off'

So we've gone from 'Fined £30 for wearing an England shirt' to 'Friend who is not wearing England shirt fined £30 for swearing at a police officer'

He is also insistent they used the phrase "there's a crackdown because you can't offend ethnic minorities" and got angry when I disputed that.

After trying to explain to him that there is a chance that the police officer could have been warning him they may not be able to get into pubs with an England shirt, he went off in a huff - I tried to tell him the pub down the road has had a massive St George flag with 'English & Proud' outside it for weeks, but he wasn't having any of it.

With stories that change that rapidly, is it any wonder that these propaganda updates get out of hand. If I'd taken him at face value, I'd be outraged too. The problem is that a lot of people take these stories at face value and don't bother to question the sources and details.

With stories that change that rapidly, is it any wonder that these propaganda updates get out of hand. If I'd taken him at face value, I'd be outraged too. The problem is that a lot of people take these stories at face value and don't bother to question the sources and details.

That's part of the problem Alex C, people with a particular agenda want to take these stories at face value, it facilitates their indignation and hatred for the groups they believe are changing their preferred way of life.

Archived