Nursery Tavern - Ecclesall Road

docmel

thats where our memories lie,things change but for us not the better, i had a seriouse motorbike accident outside the nursery,no got me a drink lmao, i moved on to american cars and we used to go up ringinglow road to the norfolk arms i think its called,times gone by,after the nurssery we used to walk up to dales chippy if we couldnt afford an uncle sams

the pub was done up twice. once in the mid 80's [ approx] when they got rid of all the small rooms and opened it up. it was then that paul took over from mrs Jenkins. I once was in the general cemetary with my dog and a german shepherd joined in and i was throwing sticks for the two dogs for ages. After Mrs jenkins came up as it was her dog. She thanked me for giving her dog the exercise she couldnt, as she was getting on in age then. She invited me to come into the pub next time i was around and she bought me a few pints, lovely lady.

Also Paul was a good landlord and the pub was still a good one with a various clientele.

It was when they changed it around the late 90's [again approx] which really ruined it. It was just aimed at the student market, which i suppose isnt suprising given its location, but a shame none the less.A new landlord was put in place after the refurb.

I went in a while ago and there were plates all over the place while the bar staff just chatted ehind the bar, and its now a 15 minute wait to get served at busy times.

Needless to say i very rarely go in now.

I was in there on the last day before the 90's refurb and they were selling everything off. i got a tv for a fiver which lasted me for about 10 years.

I worked in Broomhall street in the 60,s and we used to go to the Nursery for a pint and a sandwich at lunchtimes.Why do pork sandwiches not taste so good anymore???I cannot even replicate them at home!!!

A piece of historical info re the Nursery.

During the 1890's it was the occasional venue for Sheffield area running clubs.

Races were held from there to Forge Dam and back.

Well it did well there then, considering it was built in the 1930's. Mrs Jenkins parents moved from the old South Sea (I think) at Broomhill, they were the first to run it. Mrs J's husband eventually took over the lease but it was always her who was the driving force. When he died Mrs J laid his coffin in state on the snooker table on a Sunday for folk to pay their respects, snooker was never played on a Sunday after that whilst she was in charge.

It was the best pub I ever used, such fantastic memories, loads of friends made (some sadly no longer with us). However, all I have to do if close my eyes and think back, everyone is there in their 20's, such happy days.

Pubs were definitely fun places to be in the 60's. If we had nowt to do on a Satdy neet, we'd hop on the 55 bus at Crosspool and do a pub crawl round the city centre starting at the Museum then on to the Stonehouse and a few more. All the pubs were cheerful, had good ale and we avoided any trouble spots. We'd then hop on a bus to the York in Broomhill and hopefully get back to Crosspool for one in the Tavern and the last one pulled by Mrs Blenkinsop at the Sportsman. I doubt if I'd find it much fun now - nor would my liver.

People - I started this thread five years ago - and still it reappears now and again - with much the same theme - why on God's earth do 'design and concept' teams bugger about with places that don't need buggering about with in the first place?

By all accounts the Nursery was one of the best, most well know pubs in Sheff outside the city centre

Did the students ask for the rehash? - don't think so

Did the 'oldies'? - definitely not by all accounts

Did the landlord/manager? - probably didn't have a say in it.

So who decides? - same people who thought that the tower blocks etc would promote better community living and Vic Hallam was a decent architect

...sorry here I go again - only just saw the thread by accident and was'nt going to say 'owt but it still gets me goat even after all this time since I last went in.

...is Uncle Sams still there? - that was another place that was pretty dam good - upto that point all we had in Sheff re burgers was Wimpy - along came this place - real burgers and real good music - happy days

Archived