Nursery Tavern - Ecclesall Road

docmel

People - I started this thread five years ago - and still it reappears now and again - with much the same theme - why on God's earth do 'design and concept' teams bugger about with places that don't need buggering about with in the first place?

By all accounts the Nursery was one of the best, most well know pubs in Sheff outside the city centre

Did the students ask for the rehash? - don't think so

Did the 'oldies'? - definitely not by all accounts

Did the landlord/manager? - probably didn't have a say in it.

So who decides? - same people who thought that the tower blocks etc would promote better community living and Vic Hallam was a decent architect

...sorry here I go again - only just saw the thread by accident and was'nt going to say 'owt but it still gets me goat even after all this time since I last went in.

...is Uncle Sams still there? - that was another place that was pretty dam good - upto that point all we had in Sheff re burgers was Wimpy - along came this place - real burgers and real good music - happy days

Its all down to european law,one person must be able to see all rooms from behind one bar!!!I wonder how all the men and women who have fought for thier country against dictatorship feel about Brussels dictating to us now!!!!!!!!!! Just another british tradition going to the wall!!!! Progress? I think not.:mad:

As docmel & normanmarina say-----just another example of how grass-roots democracy has been effectively throttled in the U.K.------partly by Europe, partly by our own home-grown Control Freaks & Social Fascists------and of course, all aided by the sheep-like attitude of many millions of John Bull 's Stout Yeomenry-------well, ' stout ', anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What a pub ! it was the place to be ...where rich and not so rich mixed ...and of course students ... all wooden pannelling on the walls ...endless antiques including the famous chinese vase on the staircse which stood around 5feet . You could guarantee a party to go on too at the weekends ..I met a lot of nice people there and some not so nice ...the best pub ever ..!for me.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone remember the young men in white waiters jackets who used to wait on the tables and I seem to remember there were bell pushes on the walls behind the seating to summon the waiters. It always struck me as a lttle sexist as Vera only employed women behind the bar and men waiting on.

I think this was in the seventies. Can anyone help confirming my recollection and the dates.

Shooter-----I think what you remember was probably all true------certainly, they had the waiters in white jackets [ Going off on a slight tangent-----a pub that definitely had the bells AND the waiters , at least up to the 1970 's [ ? ] was the Porter Cottage on Sharrowvale Road. This was before the students dominated the place and a lot of the regulars were roughly the same mixture as the Nursery at the same time----old and young, rich and poor, beautiful and ugly. bad and good------plus a fair number of eccentrics to round it all off-----great places ! ]

I worked there in the late 80's and I was the pork sarnie maker. Which was utterly bad as I could scoff as much pork as I wanted :D

I loved working in the nursery it was a pub with character.

fox20thc... if you made the pork sandwiches in the Nursery then you should be hailed as a provider of one of the greatest culinery delights on the planet, well certainly one of the best that this bloke has tasted. Step aside Jamie Oliver.

I worked at James Neill for a short while and the Nursery was a regular lunch time treat, I know the beer was good but for the life of me I can't remember which brewery. Can anyone help.

Archived