Gary Lineker quits Mail on Sunday over Triesman story

Quite right too ,the mail must have known the damage it would cause to Englands bid,and whether you like football or not theres no denying the advantages of this event,revenue,jobs plus more importantly ,the feel good factor it will bring,Im not saying Triesman should have got away with what he said but the mail could have been a little more discreet,it may have sold them newspapers on the day but to what future detriment to themselves ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8690639.stm

That's got to be about the daftest thing Lineker has ever done in his life. He's effectively saying that offences should be covered up to protect the bid - which argument itself will damage our case!

By fifa's rules that no mention should be made of other countries bids the Mail may have scuppered the bid now Im not saying ,and I dont think Lineker is saying,cover it up but the mail could have handled it a little more discreetly by contacting the FA and informing them instead of plastering all over the paper.As I said like football or not the event is worth more to the country than a publicity seeking headline from the Mail,surely they realise that ?

but the mail could have been a little more discreet

Yes, I agree. Newspapers printing the facts instead of being a party to covering them up? Don't they know what's in the public interest over at the Mail?

If newspapers are going to start telling us what's going on, where will it all end?

By fifa's rules that no mention should be made of other countries bids the Mail may have scuppered the bid

No, they may not have. The Mail haven't done anything.

Lord Triesman may have scuppered the bid. Frankly, I think after his little stunt it should be scuppered, and I won't be at all surprised if FIFA come to the same conclusion.

The media is responsible for creating half of the news it publishes, much of which is politically slanted tripe.

Not much happening let's create a story...let's get real here that young lass with Lord Triesman...what's that all about ? I smell a rat, then again what are people like him doing as part of the bid anyway....well done Lineker too, parts of the UK press need boycotting for their sabotage style reporting !

Of course the Mail on Sunday were not the first paper to be offered the story from the woman concerned, but they chose to run with it.

Ironic then that in Monday's Daily Mail she was castigated as the villain who'd ruined our chances of staging it.

Of course the Mail on Sunday were not the first paper to be offered the story from the woman concerned, but they chose to run with it.

Ironic then that in Monday's Daily Mail she was castigated as the villain who'd ruined our chances of staging it.

She'll be alright, she'll soon have Max Clifford on board.

the mail could have approached the FA and said ..look we have certain information on Triesman,we dont want to publish if it affects the bid and all the benefits the country will glean from it here is the info can you please sort it or we publish,the FA could then have took steps Triesman goes fifa none the wiser and our bid not compromised ...whats the harm in that ?

the mail could have approached the FA and said ..look we have certain information on Triesman,we dont want to publish if it affects the bid and all the benefits the country will glean from it here is the info can you please sort it or we publish,the FA could then have took steps Triesman goes fifa none the wiser and our bid not compromised ...whats the harm in that ?

Wouldn't have been a "scoop" for them.

Archived