Fish mongers visited my house

hi everyone

i just wanted to get some info about fish mongers. yesterday a fish monger came to my house and was selling all kinds of fish. usually i say no to things like this but for some daft reason i bought some sea bass from him.

i asked him where he appeared from and he said northfield, which doesnt mean anything to me and it still didnt put me off. he said he comes round every 8 weeks to sell fish and most people freeze it until he comes back.

obviously most of what he said was just to get sales, so no idea why i bought anything. anyway im a bit unsure now about the fish i bought and a bit worried whether its actually sea bass or edible.

has anyone else had these people come round selling fish? any experiences good or bad? should i not buy fish from fish mongers who go round houses? i know sounds odd, thats why im asking :)

any advice appreciated.

thanks

how odd :huh:

if the fish doesnt smell it should smell of the sea not fishy, looks ok no cuts or broken skin and no slime, eyes still full and shiny then id say its ok.

did a search for the name he gave but i think its just an area somewhere not an actual company next time he comes ask for the companys name.

maybe ask your neighbours if they know anything about him?

hi everyone

i just wanted to get some info about fish mongers. yesterday a fish monger came to my house and was selling all kinds of fish. usually i say no to things like this but for some daft reason i bought some sea bass from him.

i asked him where he appeared from and he said northfield, which doesnt mean anything to me and it still didnt put me off. he said he comes round every 8 weeks to sell fish and most people freeze it until he comes back.

obviously most of what he said was just to get sales, so no idea why i bought anything. anyway im a bit unsure now about the fish i bought and a bit worried whether its actually sea bass or edible.

has anyone else had these people come round selling fish? any experiences good or bad? should i not buy fish from fish mongers who go round houses? i know sounds odd, thats why im asking :)

any advice appreciated.

thanks

did you see the van...was it refridgerated and stacked with ice....if not you've been done...

wow I wish a fishmonger would call round here that would be great! I wish local food suppliers would call round here full stop that would be a dream come true lol

Theres one goes around Mosborough every two weeks from Grimsby that sells lovelly fresh fish streight from the docks, next time he comes around I will get his number.. :thumbsup:

He went round to my mum's a few weeks ago too.

I don't think this type of thing is that unusual. Where I used to live (Northants), there was a fishmonger who came round every couple of months. Seems okay....although I have never bought anything from him.

hey everyone thanks for your replies.

just so you all know, we ate the fish in the end, thanks for your opinions.

I opened the packet and smelt the fish and it DID smell like the sea and the skin was not broken so we gave it a chance. it was yummy!!

even though i didnt see the van, next time he comes round, ill check which company theyre from and buy again.

x

Archived