Gleadless townend businesses of yesteryear.

3 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Slinny ,  there is a school on Hollinsend Road its been there since the twenty's a lot of Gleadless kids went there , its at the bottom of Hollinsend Park .  Grant and Roger Caley , Mick Wilkinson  are two that come to mind . Perhaps you were in Derbyshire so had to go to Ridgeway school , The Red Lion was once on the exact border between Derbyshire and Yorkshire ,the pubs shut at different times ,you got half an hour more drinking time in the Lion on a night out .

I did live in Derbyshire lister crescent right side , born there before basegreen was built . On left side bottom off gardens was stream beyond that was gardens for seagrave crescent we were in Derbyshire seagrave was in Yorkshire,  they went to the school you said . No school on Derbyshire side off gleadless so went to ridgeway infant school .they then built charnock infants and juniors school which I attended , did not go in lion much , centred spot at that time was in Derbyshire ,Ii

they all attended frechville school which I went to  in seniors that also was in Derbyshire but on seagrave crescent on basegreen they went to hurlfieid school in Yorkshire , still not sure about lion . Will ask lady six years older than me she still lives on lister . Crescent , I am 78 think boundaries changed in middle 60s 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2022 at 22:34, Leo Tomlinson said:

Well we rushed from the Heeley and Sheffield to the Red Lion  so  border line mi thinks .

Hi Leo was with a bar maid who worked in lion from late 60s till about 80s . She also went in Healy  and Sheffield . She said it was same time at both pubs , I know arrow was Derbyshire, when I first started going in lion , about 1961 , week day closing time was 10 pm .  Changed still in 60 but late , land lords name in Healy when I started going in  mac cooper. Changed in about 67  to George cheatem  his son in law was my best man , land lord in lion was  second name , east tow  in early 60s  beer. 1shilling 3 old pennies  in both pubs beer in arrow tenants . Their bitter same price , 1penny extra for beer called qeens . Bar maids name in lion rose alot off things with boundaries to me is still not clear around gleadless . 
d

On 20/07/2022 at 11:11, Slinny said:

Hi Leo was with a bar maid who worked in lion from late 60s till about 80s . She also went in Healy  and Sheffield . She said it was same time at both pubs , I know arrow was Derbyshire, when I first started going in lion , about 1961 , week day closing time was 10 pm .  Changed still in 60 but late , land lords name in Healy when I started going in  mac cooper. Changed in about 67  to George cheatem  his son in law was my best man , land lord in lion was  second name , east tow  in early 60s  beer. 1shilling 3 old pennies  in both pubs beer in arrow tenants . Their bitter same price , 1penny extra for beer called qeens . Bar maids name in lion rose alot off things with boundaries to me is still not clear around gleadless . 
d

Did Jeff Broomhead  keep the Heeley and Sheffield around that time ? , I remember a few who drank  in the pub , Georgie Quince  , Jimmy Bradshaw , Alec Caley , Roger Caley are a few I remember .

3 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Did Jeff Broomhead  keep the Heeley and Sheffield around that time ? , I remember a few who drank  in the pub , Georgie Quince  , Jimmy Bradshaw , Alec Caley , Roger Caley are a few I remember .

Yes I knocked around with jimmy and Jeff from being 15 . Roger lived just off common near George cutts, rogers dad used to go in Healy in tap room , I carried hod to Georgie quince .for a short time , can you remember yew tree near holling  bush , tetleys beer , . Jeffs father-in-law kept Healy George cheatem . , 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2022 at 22:12, mike-s said:

We rushed from The Lion to the Old Arra at 10.30 for the extra half hour, so I assume it was always in Yorkshire.

Yes the old arra was in Derbyshire, do you remember waiter in arra called Fred , from ridgeway, he was their for many years ,

• 5 months later...
On 11/07/2022 at 13:27, Leo Tomlinson said:

Slinny ,  there is a school on Hollinsend Road its been there since the twenty's a lot of Gleadless kids went there , its at the bottom of Hollinsend Park .  Grant and Roger Caley , Mick Wilkinson  are two that come to mind . Perhaps you were in Derbyshire so had to go to Ridgeway school , The Red Lion was once on the exact border between Derbyshire and Yorkshire ,the pubs shut at different times ,you got half an hour more drinking time in the Lion on a night out .

I never got a extra half hour in lion , the centre spot was also in Derbyshire , you went in with me , we never had extra half hour in there , 

Well your memory is a lot better than mine , so if you say we din't we din't .

But I do remember running on from Heeley and Sheffield house  to Town End and getting a extra half hour .

I also remember the Derbyshire sign on line with Shell station garage practically on line with Ridgeway Road .

Alec Caley from the S@ Heeley also left the pub some Saturday nights to get after bird at the Lion .

Zakes informs. me that the front rooms of Red Lion were in Derbyshire and the rear in Yorkshire , so myself ,Slinney and Zakes all differ by around 100 yards as I still say there was a  Derbyshire sign below petrol station facing Ridgeway Road .