Gleadless townend businesses of yesteryear.

23 hours ago, Slinny said:

The butchers at you are talking about was Browns chip shop , They also had a building firm . Sons name Gerald ,   The other end off those shops was groceries called Mary walkers , next door was Smiths hard wear shop  Shop next to walk through past little garage ,was Plumbs paper shop ,on other side off walk through was groceries called Beckets next door was Cards. Lady’s and  haberdashery   Always was chemist on end , Back off Red lion was a field Down the walk through I mentioned was a small pond  frogs were always found.there ,,where old toilet block is now was a old building ,I think they did car repairs in it , but could be wrong,  buses numbers were 102 and 101 , 99 went on white Lane only one every hour , I can just remember street party on my road. Lister crescent think 1946 , my dad lived there from 1942  age 22 till he died 6years since , 

Anyone who went to frechville secondary school from September 55 to  August 59 ,still around ,   Slinny ,

On 21/01/2023 at 14:47, Slinny said:

On 18/01/2023 at 17:15, zakes said:

1. I'd like to know why loads of posts have been removed from this wonderful thread, MY thread. A poster, Manxdeedah, has had all but one (post 81) taken off. He provided photos showing various sign-posts in the Gleadless Townend area. Is it possible to have these posts put back on? And why were they taken off in the first place?

2. What was the name of the owner of Eves, and how many shops did she own? I know of two, Gleadless Townend, and Hackenthorpe.

3. On what day of the week was half-day closing at Gleadless Townend?

4. Where Websters butchers shop now is, I remember that shop was also a butchery shop, Lawlers. The shop was a butchers by day, but a chip chop by evening. I preferred this chippy to the other chippy next to the Bendix Washerteria.

5. Thank you Derreck for your info, very interesting.

6  Thank you Jim Hardie for the link...post 137.

7. Does anyone remember a girl at Charnock Infants School called Lynn Hanson in the early 60s? She was the first lass I fell in love with. We were both aged 6 at the time. I met her at an inter-schools sports day, which took place at Rainbow Forge Infants school, on Hackenthorpe. I never saw her again after that day. I've been told she left the area in her early 70s, then married in Rotherham. Lynn had a voice that truly trilled.

8. 1967 was the year when Hackenthorpe, Birley, Frecheville, Basegreen, Charnock and the rest of Gleadless Townend came into Yorkshire, from Derbyshire. I was at Birley school at that time. Our sports teams then started playing against schools already in Sheffield, Brook, Norfolk Park etc. Swimming lessons were at Woodthorpe baths, previously in Cresswell.

9.  Early 70s my mates and me went for half-hour extension drinking to the Phoenix and sometimes the Queens in Ridgeway. We'd come out of the Old Harrow...'Arra't o those in the know. Then it was a long walk back to the Townend afterwards where I lived. Most of my mates lived either at Charnock or Basegreen.

10. What were the names of the two banks on Gleadless Mount?

11. Styans had two bakery shops at Gleadless Townend. one on Gleadless Road, t'other on White Lane, near The doctors surgery and Midland Bank.

12.Who owned the private school up Briarfield, and how long was it there? Lets have some info on this please.

13. I can see that you've all had enough for today,so I'll close for now.

10. Lloyd’s Bank (No.15)

Trustee Savings Bank (No17)

Edited by Jim Hardie

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Yes that’s them . Brian was half brother  . I’ve heard a lot of stories about him . 

There was Mick and I think Barbra  ! Brian was 5years older than me ,    Worked on same building site once , he on on , Not seen any for many years now   Spent all my Young life on estate ,   Great people ,

2 hours ago, Slinny said:

There was Mick and I think Barbra  ! Brian was 5years older than me ,    Worked on same building site once , he on on , Not seen any for many years now   Spent all my Young life on estate ,   Great people ,

Brian died about 25 years ago . Mick died last year