Gleadless townend businesses of yesteryear.

Does anyone remember some shops I recall from the late 60s and early 70s at Gleadless Townend? Any memories?

1. Low(e)s chip shop next door but 2 to the White Lane garage.

2. Barbers shop up the steps on Briarfield Road (now a dance school)? Name please?

3. E(a)ves - clothes shop on Norton Avenue. ANy other E(a)ves in Sheffield?

4. Fine Fare supermarket on Gleadless Road.

5. Sweet shop next door to filling station (now a carpet shop). Before it was a sweet shop it was a food store, my mum used to send me there for bread, potted meat and fags etc on tick 'til Friday. What was it called?

6. Newsagents next door to the left of White Lane garage on one side and the Jennel (ginnel) t'other side. What was it called?

7. Newsagents other side of Ridgeway Road on Gleadless Road shopping parade. What was it called?

8. What is a Glead-less? - same principle as gorm-less.

9. There is a road nearby called Carson Mount - Kit Carson(s) MOunt was called 'Apache', no extra charge® for that bit on information. Lol!!

10. There was a veg and fruit shop next door to Low(e)s chippie ran by two birds who used to go in the Old Harrow, they'll be in their late fifties now. What were their names and what name was the shop called?

Just remembered another one, What about the fishing tackle shop on the parade of shops at the top of gleadless road, sure it was called godbeheres and we nicknamed it godbelugs, used to get a tanners worth of maggots then get on the 99 bus to ford bottom and poach in the smelting pond ( i think it was the smeting pond circa 1964 ) by the bridge inn

'Janet & John's' was the childrens clothes shop at the end of the parade, The radio & tv shop next to the Midland bank was 'Dobsons'. A bakers was at the opposite side of the bank but can't remember the name. White lane service station was owned by a friend of mine in the 70s called Lewis Jepson. Remember the day Fine Fare opened - the start of the end for the small shops such as Giles grocers at the other end of White lane near the Old Harrow. Always wondered why it was called 'Selig parade' until I realised it was Mr Giles name backwards!!.

There was a butchers shop called Austins - they used to make fantastic Cornish pasties.

There was a doctor's surgery on White Lane run by the Mathews (father and son - otherwise known as young Bob and old Dr Mathews!!)

• 2 weeks later...

And I ramble on; There were three newsagents in the 60s; One between the petrol station and Huddarts decorating shop, one in the parade on Gleadless road, and GT news ( cant remember its original name) next door to White lane service station. GT also sold records. The gennel at the side of GT news gave a short cut to Lister Cres.

A few more that I recall more from the mid 70s onwards are the old Co-Op on Ridgeway Road ,which is now Blockbusters. The newsagents opposite was run by a woman called Barbera and she always had 2 boxer dogs laying in the entrance. There was a launderette next to Town End Chippy where I once saw a couple of Sheffield Wednesday players doing their laundry!!! A bit further afield down Hollinsend Road and the junction of Kirkby Road was a wool shop but can't remember the name as I used to pass it on my way to Gleadless School , so I must have been about 6 or 7 when it closed. Opposite the New Inn was a coal merchants,and just up Gleadless Common was Browns who used to sell anything and everything.